Different/New Destinations

HuntinJake_23

Trying to plan a summer trip for the family (Me, the wife, 4 year old son and 5 month old daughter) and looking at the week before Memorial Day. For the past 10 years we have ventured to East Pointe/St. George Island and know that area very well. The wife is wanting to try somewhere new this year. We enjoy fishing as a family whether it be on the beach, from a pier, or on an inshore charter. We aren’t huge fans of the touristy areas with big high rises and beaches packed to the gils. We have a travel trailer that can be used or we are open to renting a house. With all that being said what are some recommendations you all have preferably along the gulf?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Trying to plan a summer trip for the family (Me, the wife, 4 year old son and 5 month old daughter) and looking at the week before Memorial Day. For the past 10 years we have ventured to East Pointe/St. George Island and know that area very well. The wife is wanting to try somewhere new this year. We enjoy fishing as a family whether it be on the beach, from a pier, or on an inshore charter. We aren’t huge fans of the touristy areas with big high rises and beaches packed to the gils. We have a travel trailer that can be used or we are open to renting a house. With all that being said what are some recommendations you all have preferably along the gulf?
You might check out Nokomis, Fl.
Great beach and the kids can pick up sharks teeth on the beach.
Good surf fishing and a nice jetty at the inlet.

slow motion

You might check out Nokomis, Fl.
Great beach and the kids can pick up sharks teeth on the beach.
Good surf fishing and a nice jetty at the inlet.
Great suggestion. Spent a fair amount of time fishing that jetty at Venice and looking for shark teeth on Caspersen Beach. Great area though I haven't been in several years. Got a sister in Sarasota. Seems there was a pier there too but don't know if its still there.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I checked it out. Learn stuff here all the time. Never thought about cattle drives in Fl. I do know a Florida cowboy though. @flatsmaster is the real deal.

First cowboys on this continent were in Florida. They didn`t call theirselves cowboys though. They were cow hunters. They were the Crackers, and they are legendary to our early history.

Geffellz18

Navarre or Perdido key for a more low key beach experience.
Perdido has a state park that I believe you can camp at.
Not sure what camping options there are in Navarre, but I’m sure there are some
Private options available.
For something really different, I’d suggest Blackwater River State Park in Holt, FL. Only 20-30 minutes to the beach, but several activities like hiking, tubing, canoeing, joy riding through the forest, etc depending on what your interest are and willing to do with the infant in tow.

Last edited:

Gator89

Brahma's were specifically bred for Florida.

While they do quite well in FL and I have been run up a fence by a few upset long legged, floppy eared mama cows, there is no evidence they were bred specifically for FL.

They were bred to be successful in warmer climates with lots of bugs.

Last edited:

slow motion

While they do quite well in FL and I have been run up a fence by a few upset lojg legged, floppy eared mama cows, there is evidence they were bred specifically bred for FL.

Can I qualify for partial credit? Their ancestors came from India.

notnksnemor

While they do quite well in FL and I have been run up a fence by a few upset lojg legged, floppy eared mama cows, there is evidence they were bred specifically bred for FL.

They were also bred to have longer legs than most cattle.
This helped keep their udders and reproductive organs out of the brush and briars.

notnksnemor

You were 100% correct.

I need to better proof read.

Bramhan cattle were NOT specifically bred for FL.
I should have been more specific.
They did not originate in Florida, but they were bred, don't know if crossbred is an accurate term either, in state to produce a breed more adaptable to the swamps and woods. Longer legs being one of the most prominent changes.