Different/New Destinations

slow motion

Yes, the n is silent, regardless of which drawl you use to pronounce it.

Brahma, Brayma, Braymer, Bremmer, Bremma, .....
Didn't know there was an N in there until I was grown.

flatsmaster

Good horse great dogs and a good whip and rope penned and doctored a lot of mean cows
Never without incident but at least we survived with my brother losing 1/2 a finger bc rope cut it off being the only lasting reminder
We only raise angus now with about 50 head of corriente to rope and there all dog broke
Send the borders out and they pen them by themselves priceless

slow motion

Good horse great dogs and a good whip and rope penned and doctored a lot of mean cows
Never without incident but at least we survived with my brother losing 1/2 a finger bc rope cut it off being the only lasting reminder
We only raise angus now with about 50 head of corriente to rope and there all dog broke
Told em you were the real thing.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
A catch dog on their nose will quiet em down quick too.

flatsmaster

To the OP … don’t know a thing about the big bend area but fished Matlacha chokoloskee and flamingo a bunch
They have some cool tents with electric at Flamingo … I’m guessing much further south then you want to travel … good luck lots of neat places with solid fishing if you just want a bent rod and not fish specific

notnksnemor

Different breeds are better at certain parts of cow work but your right if they don’t grab there a spectator !!! Slow maybe 40 year ago
Now I don’t flank or throw one and can get a bruise from an empty box … fun stuff this aging thing
My Grandpa was a cow hunter in Polk and Lake Counties generally from where Disney is now west to Green Swamp and Richloam.
He died in the early 50's before I was born. Granny kept ~30 head cow/calf operation until she got too old in the late 60's, early 70's.
She told me stories of how Grandpa built his herd by catching swamp cows.
I would have loved to have met that man.

flatsmaster

One of the things I miss the most about today’s society… from serving in world wars to no technology or minimal advanced equipment to do things it was a honor to sit by the fire and not talk just listen to great hard working men … we thought we were tough but my dad would have whooped a room full of use and not broke a sweat … shame you didn’t get to meet him sounds like caught from a similar cloth … different world today not always for the better

notnksnemor

One of the things I miss the most about today’s society… from serving in world wars to no technology or minimal advanced equipment to do things it was a honor to sit by the fire and not talk just listen to great hard working men … we thought we were tough but my dad would have whooped a room full of use and not broke a sweat … shame you didn’t get to meet him sounds like caught from a similar cloth … different world today not always for the better
I did have the pleasure of helping her and listening.
She was tough as nails too. Probably never weighed more than a buck ten and always had a dip of Railroad Snuff in her lip.

Gator89

My Grandpa was a cow hunter in Polk and Lake Counties generally from where Disney is now west to Green Swamp and Richloam.
He died in the early 50's before I was born. Granny kept ~30 head cow/calf operation until she got too old in the late 60's, early 70's.
She told me stories of how Grandpa built his herd by catching swamp cows.
I would have loved to have met that man.

One of my brother in laws grew up on the northern boundary of Richloam, the Linden community. That family had 5000 acres of St. Regis timber/flat woods leased for grazing for probably 30+ years. I got to assist in one of their fall round ups back around 1982 or 1983. The state purchased that property and it is now the Baird Unit of Richloam.

My BIL's mother was raised in the Green Pond community, in NE Polk County on the east side of Green Swamp.

notnksnemor

One of my brother in laws grew up on the northern boundary of Richloam, the Linden community. That family had 5000 acres of St. Regis timber/flat woods leased for grazing for probably 30+ years. I got to assist in one of their fall round ups back around 1982 or 1983. The state purchased that property and it is now the Baird Unit of Richloam.

My BIL's mother was raised in the Green Pond community, in NE Polk County on the east side of Green Swamp.
I think we've PM'd about the Tarrytown, Linden, Webster area before.
The drive-in at Bevilles Corner.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Covering all the bases. I use to like to go to Hickory Mound fishing in the 70s. The woods around there use to be full of "free range cows.
I bet they made steak as tough as lighter knot.

Also saw chain with links as big as a Volkswagen (well not quite that big)stretched between 2 Cat dozers being dragged over the scub.