Savanna national wildlife refuge duck hunting

I’ve read the regulations and rules regarding duck hunting, and last spring I passed through the refuge on a four-day river trip I took from Augusta to Savannah by boat. I would like to go down and duck hunt it, but I was hoping someone could provide me with some general information— not looking for anybody’s honey holes or GPS coordinates —just general information.
If you have hunted the area with any success here are my questions: is most of the hunting done from boat blinds —on the river or in the oxbow channels and sloughs or do you tie up to the bank and walk into pothole lakes, where oak trees are dropping acorns? What species of ducks should I expect (I have hundreds of decoys and multiple species of decoys —trying to determine which decoys to bring).
Also, I have a Honda 40 horse outboard on a 16 foot boat and a long tail mud motor on a 14 foot aluminum boat. I used the 40 hp outboard for my river trip last spring and was able to get through many of the Oxbow‘s and backwater lakes, but which boat would you recommend for duck hunting— I have boat blinds for both boats?
I also saw the two boat ramps on the South Carolina side on my river trip, but I did not go to the boat ramp on the Georgia side — is there any recommendations for which boat ramp to use?
I plan to scout next week when the season is closed.
Any general information would be appreciated — thank you!

Redman54

I've never duck hunted Sav NWR but have hunted hogs in the past. It's been several years. There is a boat ramp (Houlihan) not far off I-95 on the Ga side. It use to be a decent ramp. You'll probably be shooting a mixed bag(Woodies, Teal, Ring Necks, Mergansers and Buffleheads) if I had to guess. Good Luck

kingfish

This won't help you much, but if you get a chance, take a ride through the Laurel Hill Wildlife Drive. It's part of the refuge. When I lived in Savannah in the mid 80's, I would make regular drives through it. The amount of Bluewing Teal at the time was unreal. Plenty of other ducks too. Plus, some of the biggest alligators I've ever seen. Just as I was getting ready to start scouting the refuge to hunt, I got transferred with my job and never got to figure it out. Good luck.

Latest posts