Need a Good Green Bean Casserole Recipe

SarahFair

My grandma said she'd like me to help with a green bean casserole...

I've never made one and haven't eaten many, and looking at recipes on the internet they are all over the map...

The only thing my grandma did mention is to not make a big one and she likes the fried onions on top :)
Also, I dont have a microwave
(One of the highest rated recipes I found needed a microwave)

So, what makes a good green bean casserole and does anyone have a good recipe to share?

Also, Ill be incredibly busy this week with wrestling, baking, and cooking... can this be made and stored (unbaked) in the fridge a couple days ahead?

BowSniper

There is a recipe for it on the box of fried onions. Just go buy them and get it right off of it. Good and simple.

BowSniper

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My grandma said she'd like me to help with a green bean casserole...

I've never made one and haven't eaten many, and looking at recipes on the internet they are all over the map...

The only thing my grandma did mention is to not make a big one and she likes the fried onions on top :)
Also, I dont have a microwave
(One of the highest rated recipes I found needed a microwave)

So, what makes a good green bean casserole and does anyone have a good recipe to share?

Also, Ill be incredibly busy this week with wrestling, baking, and cooking... can this be made and stored (unbaked) in the fridge a couple days ahead?

The Redhead always makes her dressing, giblet gravy, and macaroni and cheese casserole several days before Thanksgiving and Christmas, then refrigerates them. She`s making all this stuff up for Thanksgiving as I`m typing this.

Big7

The Oracle
My Mama makes a good one but I'm fixing to be in the woods and she don't text.

PM me if you haven't found a good one about an hour after dark and I'll get it for you.

I remember it being REAL easy and it's a special cut of green beans. French, I think. The ones split a time or 2 long ways. Get you some of them. That makes a BIG difference.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
This makes a 8in. x 10in. casserole dish:
Mix 2 cans cream of mushroom soup with 1 3/4 cups milk and pepper to taste.
Add 3 cans of strained green beans and 1/2 can of fried onions to mix then pour into casserole dish.
Bake uncovered at 350degs. for 25mins.
Sprinkle with remaining onions and bake 5mins. uncovered.
You can crush up the onions in hand a little bit to get a better covering.
I add 1/8 tsp Tony Chachere seasoning to the mix just to "liven" it up a little.
If you want to make it just like it was invented, add a few dashes of soy sauce. I don't.
You can cut out 1 can each of beans and soup if you want a smaller one.
Can be cooked 1 - 2 days ahead and refrigerated.

Last edited:

Gator89

Use the green beans to make green bean bundles.

3 or 4 beans wrapped in bacon baked in butter and brown sugar.

Doubles as a dessert and a side dish.

:fine:

ryork

It's not the traditional version exactly and takes a little more effort, but if you're looking for something different that's taken up a notch or two in terms of green bean casseroles, google "Green Bean Casserole Recipe Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives". Worth the effort as it takes something fairly standard and makes it something different, still has the fried onions on top too.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
This makes a 8in. x 10in. casserole dish:
Mix 2 cans cream of mushroom soup with 1 3/4 cups milk and pepper to taste.
Add 3 cans of strained green beans and 1/2 can of fried onions to mix then pour into casserole dish.
Bake uncovered at 350degs. for 25mins.
Sprinkle with remaining onions and bake 5mins. uncovered.
You can crush up the onions in hand a little bit to get a better covering.
I add 1/8 tsp Tony Chachere seasoning to the mix just to "liven" it up a little.
If you want to make it just like it was invented, add a few dashes of soy sauce. I don't.
You can cut out 1 can each of beans and soup if you want a smaller one.
Can be cooked 1 - 2 days ahead and refrigerated.
That pretty much the way I used to make it back in the day. I used the french style green beans. I let most all casseroles "marry" in the fridge for a few days. Then put the mixture in a dish and cook it.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I just use the standard recipe and add crumbled bacon to it, nothing to it or left

B. White

This is what we use. I use a quart jar of canned beans for this recipe and include the cheese. Haven't tried it with cans of store bought green beans.

Lukikus2

Never had it with cheese before.

For every two cans of cut green beans, one can of cream of mushroom soup. Toss in some fried onions, mix thoroughly and scoop into a oven safe pan at 350* covered. Keep a eye on it, the more or less you make depends on cooking times. When the casserole starts boiling, un cover and add fried onions on top and put back into oven for 5-10 minutes. Easily warmed back up.

I forgot to add drain the green beans and don’t add water for the soup. You want it firm, not soupy.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

And it begins, 2 50 oz cans of beans, 2 cans COM soup, @ 1 cup of milk, crumbled bacon, ground pepper and some dehydrated ramps. Going in at 350 for @ 25 minutes, maybe a little more.

20231122_134047.jpg

Last edited:

SarahFair

Has anyone ever heard of putting water chestnuts in there to add a little more crunch?

WOODIE13

Has anyone ever heard of putting water chestnuts in there to add a little more crunch?
Nope. I'd add some crumbled bacon to the top with the fried onions if you wanted texture and crunch

Last edited:

ucfireman

can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 can for 2 cans, 2 cans for 3 or more cand of green beans.
2-3 cans of green beans, drained
some sharp cheddar cheese
some bacon bits ( I use the ones from Sams)
mix together and pour in a casserole dish.
Top with crushed Ritz and fried onions.
Bake covered till bubbly, uncover and brown
EAT IT!