Need a good herbicide and ant killer

shdw633

I bought a roughly 6 acre ranch a couple months ago and I have a couple of issues I need to get a handle on before spring. The lawn is a mix of St Augustine and Bahia....and weeds, I need a good herbicide that I can spray on 5 acres to get control of the weeds. The second issue I have is several fire ant mounds, I try the Andro ant killer, but all I see them doing is moving the mound over a few feet and starting a new one. As with the herbicide, I would like a spray the acreage in order to cover a larger area so they don't just up and move the mound. Finally, and as a smaller problem, I am starting to see moles burrowing around the lawn, how do you all handle them?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Triazine from the Depot for all pest. I put it in a push spreader every spring and fall and cover my whole place. No ants in the yard and scorpions / spiders in the house. PM Jeff C. for a lawn specific herbicide. He knows his stuff about that.

doomtrpr_z71

Triazines are herbicides not insecticides so I assume you mean triazicide, there's far better insecticides if you ants are the primary Target. Extinguish works extremely well for the money. Atrazine out as a pre is going to be your best bet on st Augustine but that won't clear up Bahia. My dog handles the moles so I can't help you there.

SakoL61R

For 100% kill on fire ant mounds and many other bugs, out and in-doors:

https://www.domyown.com/bifen-it-p-226.html

Soak fire ant mounds with enough to get down into all subterranean channels, a gallon to several, depends on size. My rate is 1/2 oz per gallon. Take your time and make sure it’s completely soaked, especially if the ground is dry. Completely dead in a few minutes.
Then spread bifen granules in a large area around the mound for the stragglers.

https://www.domyown.com/bifen-lp-insecticide-granules-p-227.html

I spread the granules in the yard and around the house periméter 3-4 times a year.
I use the liquid solution inside the house and on/in my permanent tree stands as well.
Would never say “zero bugs”, but I don’t see many.

shdw633

shdw633

South Florida we call them mini ranch but it's a ranch

That's correct, by definition it's a farm utilized to raise one kind of crop or animal, in my situation, it's horses. I got a friend that raises beef cattle on his ranch, he only owns 5 acres, similar to me; however, he raises cattle and like me, he has access to hundreds of acres and will rotate about 30 head on his ranch at any one time, usually right before he's ready to sell them.

TJay

I use Triazicide for moles. It kills those white grubs which is what the moles/voles are after. I guess it helps with other critters but I use it to help get rid of the moles and it works pretty well.

doomtrpr_z71

That's correct, by definition it's a farm utilized to raise one kind of crop or animal, in my situation, it's horses. I got a friend that raises beef cattle on his ranch, he only owns 5 acres, similar to me; however, he raises cattle and like me, he has access to hundreds of acres and will rotate about 30 head on his ranch at any one time, usually right before he's ready to sell them.
Are you wanting to spray the pastures?

shdw633

Then extenguish is your best bet for ants because otherwise there isn't much else labeled for pasture for ants.

Would it be better to use extinguish on the pastures but something else for the area around the house?

ryanh487

fire ant mounts are only the visible part of a vast underground network that can span several acres. chances are the mounds on your property and the mounds on your neighbor's property are all 1 giant colony. they're very difficult to safely get rid of. On the bright side, in my experience areas with fireants rarely have issues with yellow jacket nests. I'd much rather deal with fireants while mowing than yellow jackets.

doomtrpr_z71

Would it be better to use extinguish on the pastures but something else for the area around the house?

No, if ants are your concern Id do extenguish on all of it and be done with it. Esteem may be cheaper in the long run since it comes 25 lb bags for the same mode of action.