Need a new digital camera

georgiaboy

I know there is a sticky, but the info is kind of old because technology changes so quickly.

Mods, if this is an issue, PM me and I will delete.

I want a new camera. My older Nikon takes decent photos, but it is very slow. I am not sure what the feature is to look for for a faster speed between pictures. To clarify, I take a picture and there is a long delay before I can take a 2nd pic. This is becoming a problem with a 4 month old!!!

I think I need a point and shoot so that it is more portable. What are some good cameras in the $0-250 range? I can spend more if I need to, but I was hoping to not spend alot. I hear anyhting over 6 or 7 megapixels is good. Also, I would like to have a higher optical zoom, but I don't think you can get that with a pocket size camera?

Thanks for the help, I am VERY clueless on digital cameras.

rip18

Great advice, DRB1313.

Yep, that "wait" can be aggravating. It will usually be called "shutter lag" or something like that in the reviews & technical specification tables... Here is a summary for some older cameras: http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm

You can get some perfectly good P&S cameras for under $250. For my money, I would choose a Canon, Olympus, or Nikon. Decide what your "needs" are as far as shutter lag, sensor size, image stabilization/vibration reduction, optical zoom (ignore digital zoom), exposure controls, etc., and then compare the specs on the link that DRB1313 provided.

Good luck with your choice!

Hoss

The P&S landscape changes rapidly. One good thing about that is you can get some really good savings on a camera as they bring out a new model to replace it.

As Rip said, checking the reviews is a great way to learn the details of a camera like the shutter lag.

Hopefully some of our P&S folks will jump in and gives some pros and cons about their equipment.

Good luck on your search and if you come up with some questions about a specific camera, fire away. We'll likely have someone who can help you out.

Hoss

chainshaw

I can't say enough good things about the Panasonic Lumix line. The DMC LZ8 is a great camera that can be had for around $140.

georgiaboy

Thanks guys. Honestly, my biggest problem is that I don't understand shutter speed, etc. to even know what my needs are.

I will spend some time tomorrow reading reviews and maybe swing by a store or two to check screen sizes and actual size of the cameras. I may end up with a little pocket camera for me and a mid sized with decent zoom for the family.

Chainsaw, the one you posted would be perfect for me to leave in the truck or slip in the pocket of a hunting coat.

Do you guys prefer data cables or the memory cards (SD cards I think)?

Razorback

gb,

DR pointed you in the direction I would point you in-dpreview's buyers guide is what I have been using for the in-laws when they ask me for a camera. DP just added a link to a P&S review, this may be of some help.

A few features to consider;
Lens, look at optical zoom not digital zoom, longer optical zoom camera will be a physically bigger camera
Battery, consider whats easier for you to keep up with, I like AA's for the ease of having-getting-borrowing batteries instead of rechargeables
Memory Card, type, I like SD cards-small, very common, no pins to bend like CF cards (how the heck someone bends these pins I'll never know:confused:) and can be had VERY CHEAP:banana:

As for brands, most of them are all good just get the features you want for the size camera you can work with.

As a side note; the wife works w/ Canon's 5D, I tote a Canon S5 IS~12xlens, 10mp, 4 AA's, SD card but we both forgot & really didn't want to carry either while we were Christmas Tree hunting at Jacks Creek. So we borrowed my SIL's Nikon Coolpix L16. Pretty slick little camera, pocket size & just what we wanted for the afternoon. My SIL picked it up from Wally World for lens than $100. Good deal in my book.

Razor

georgiaboy

Thanks guys. I looked at a Lumix DMC-Tz4 today that had a 10x zoom.

I deally I would like to use AA batteries and an SD card too. I am slowly starting to figure this out. I may end up getting the wife an SLR for the house and a $99 pocket for me.

georgiaboy

I haven't bought it yet, but dpreview.com has helped me narrow the list quite a bit. I am down to 8 but trying to decide if I want AA batteries and SD card vs memory sticks or other type card.

Hoss

Double A's offer an advantage of availabilty. Get rechargables, but if you ever have em run down, at least you can get new batteries pretty darn easy.

Hoss

georgiaboy

Canon PowerShot SX110 IS

10x zoom, 9 mp, AA batteries, SD compatible, 3" lcd screen and good reviews. This one was affordable, small enough to be portable and so I hope it will be a good one for my family!