Need a sharp knife to gut fish before taking them home

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Scaling trout is a new one one me
Me too. I have cleaned probably tens of thousands of trout in my life. I have never scaled one, nor seen any reason at all to.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Me too. I have cleaned probably tens of thousands of trout in my life. I have never scaled one, nor seen any reason at all to.

Yes sir and I've caught a few bugguns too

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes sir and I've caught a few bugguns too
Yep. If I keep a big one, I fillet it and cook it like salmon. No scaling there, either.

bullgator

A Hundred G's? Come on now..::ke:

I got an old 3 blade Old Timer about the size of yours. Can't put my hands on it right now. My housekeepers are bad about putting stuff where I can't find it but it always turns up.

I posted a pic in the pocket knife a while back.
It's in 100% New, In Box condition. USA Made.

Daddy always carried a miniature Old Timer or Buck single blade everywhere he went.
Wait!…..you have a housekeeper?
I believe a mod should consider some timeout for you. :bounce:

WOODIE13

Yep. If I keep a big one, I fillet it and cook it like salmon. No scaling there, either.
Smoked is awesome too, can some, great for trout cakes

WOODIE13

Cut the fins off, minus the tail, cut the head off at an angle, gut and remove the blood line, done in @ 15 minutes

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Last but not least is the Bubba fillet knife set...got this set for Fathers day 3 years ago, sharp as hades, easy to keep sharp, but the blade attachment leaves ALOT to be desired. Plastic blade attachment busted after a year of mild use...And when (not if) it breaks, you cannot get replacement part or even get Bubba Blade to respond to inquiries about warranty or parts.

The gloves that come with this set are awesome, btw.

caveat emptor

Big7

The Oracle
Wait!…..you have a housekeeper?
I believe a mod should consider some timeout for you. :bounce:
Two. They wear long denim shirts and have bun hairdos. Also go barefoot or just socks when they come through the door.

They do my house top to bottom in about 2 hours. Everything but my laundry.
Worth every penny.

hopper

The trick to a filet knife is all in how you work the tip. Keep it off big bones, off the table top and dirt. Usually after a fish cleaning or deer skinning....you can hone it right back into shape on the edge of your truck window in about 30-45 seconds. And of coarse always keep it in the sheath when its riding around in the tool or tackle box. You best get a cheap knife, or sacrifice the one you have, and set down on the porch and practice till you get it right. Big difference between sharpening and re-honing in my book.

Abe Lincoln said "Give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first 4 sharpening the axe".
Honing on the window. Never heard that one. (y)

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
My latest purchases have been mora knives and I like them. I can’t sharpen worth a flip(I tried stones, rods etc..) so I use the drag across the blade type and it’ll shave you good!
I too think your rapala knife is perfect though. Just Find the drag type sharpener with the metal surfaces, not ceramic. Lay the knife on the counter blade up and evenly drag across the surface a few times and you’ll be good to go!