Need a sharp knife to gut fish before taking them home

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A Hundred G's? Come on now..::ke:

I got an old 3 blade Old Timer about the size of yours. Can't put my hands on it right now. My housekeepers are bad about putting stuff where I can't find it but it always turns up.

I posted a pic in the pocket knife a while back.
It's in 100% New, In Box condition. USA Made.

Daddy always carried a miniature Old Timer or Buck single blade everywhere he went.
I'm serious. It's a member of my family. It's been in my pocket for nearly half a century.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I know exactly how you feel.
I have an old MF 135 that was my Daddys. It ain't for sale. Period.
Same here, my Dad and Moms personal knives get wiped and stored like treasure. I’ll have handed to my son someday.

I carry an SOG Twitch clip knife everyday. Sturdy, wears well and keeps a good edge. Clean a trout as fast as a sharp filet knife.

Gaswamp

those rapalas will sharpen up fine. lots of good advise given but will again mention maintain the edge on ur knife

menhadenman

I use a lot of Dexter Russel knives. Plenty of guys in the fish houses use them. Affordable and they cut fish like nobody’s business. I probably own ten of them.

All these other guys have cut many fish up so I can’t see a wrong answer in this thread.

Anvil Head

The tip of the Rapala wood handle stainless steel filet knife won’t penetrate the underside of the fish (trout) to gut them before taking them home. I insert the knife at the vent and try cutting towards the head but it’s as dull as a butter knife. I’ve sharpened it to the recommended angle but it doesn’t help. Would a carbon steel k ice be sharper? Any insight would be appreciated.
Just needs to be sharpened properly. Bring it to me and I'll put it back right. (That is unless you did that old cowboy trick of sticking it in the fire to sterilize it before cutting out a bullet or a hook - direct fire will kill the temper of the steel if you're not careful.)

pm me and I'll give you contact info so if you ever visit the Cabela's in Acworth we can hook up. Only take about 2 minutes to put it back to sharp with proper bevels reinstated.

Or you can get one of my simple blacksmith bird/trout knives with a finger loop and un-zip all the trout you want.

Mars

I don't clean as many fish as I'd like to but someone have me a Dexter knife and it works well enough for me. It also does a good job trimming butts and briskets.

almoore

My understanding is that ceramic is designed to keep an edge sharp - deburring - not to create an edge. I stroke my kitchen knives with a ceramic rod after every use after cleaning and before putting away. You want a sharpening stone to shave metal to create the edge. I use this at home after seeing it being used by the staff at a New West knife store to sharpen custor knives (paid less than price shown in link.)

hopper

How did the Rapala get as dull as a butter knife? I think I could sharpen a butter knife enough to gut a trout and I'm not even the best with a sharpening stone. Something ain't jiveing. I wouldn't spend a dime on a knife until I learned to sharpen the one you got. Watch some videos or something. Good Luck!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I use cheap Walmart knives, just put an edge on them.

Use a folding Kbar, slick.grandaughter used it, fingers in tact.

Scaling trout is a new one one me
20230408_180730.jpg

20230611_021544.jpg

Got this stone in Germany in 1991, works for me. Rough side, smooth side, razor edge, for me20230611_024403.jpg

Last edited:

WOODIE13

Trout, bear, deer, turkey, rabbit, bobcat, coon, coyote....etc.....all in the sharping

WOODIE13

My granddaughter cleaned her trout with the Kbar, no issues at all, god forbid she had a fillet knife

WOODIE13

She's only 10

WOODIE13

Had a 3 shot limit

Hillbilly stalker

The trick to a filet knife is all in how you work the tip. Keep it off big bones, off the table top and dirt. Usually after a fish cleaning or deer skinning....you can hone it right back into shape on the edge of your truck window in about 30-45 seconds. And of coarse always keep it in the sheath when its riding around in the tool or tackle box. You best get a cheap knife, or sacrifice the one you have, and set down on the porch and practice till you get it right. Big difference between sharpening and re-honing in my book.

Abe Lincoln said "Give me 6 hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first 4 sharpening the axe".