Need help spec'ing out a Dexter Russel fillet knife

Rhodes

So I am trying to spec out the correct Dexter Russel fish filleting knife for my needs. I never knew there were so many options for (I guess) various applications. I believe I would need the 7" or 8" but that is as far as I have gotten. I'm sure plenty of you on this forum have a Dexter Russel fillet knife so I'm asking for recommendations for the specific model # that I need to order. I will be cleaning mainly crappie, bream, speckled trout, redfish, and the occasional sheepshead......thanks.

Toasty

8” is good, longer is often better with fish because it gives you length to make a nice slicing motion. The really short ones are better for navigating joints in bigger animals.

LittleDrummerBoy

I have both the 7" and the 9". I use the 7" 95% of the time. It is handier and more flexible.

Rhodes

Thanks Rabun, that was the info I was looking for. Just one more question, do you know if that coating is mainly for corrosion resistance only? The reason I ask is that same knife without the coating is considerably cheaper and I will be using this knife at home and it would not be exposed to a salt water environment so if the non coated blade would hold the same edge as the coated I would go that route.

Rich M

Coating? You lost me there - I have 3 - 6, 7, 9 inch blades. Paid less than $20 per. Bought the 7 & 9 about 20 years ago after seeing what the charter captains were using. No rust, no stains, hold an edge well...

The 6 inch is a soft handled thing - dulls faster than the other 2. It also has a more flexible blade. Must be some correlation there.

They get used processing game and meat cows, all kinds of fish, mainly salt water species tho. Hard to beat a Dexter fillet knife.

Academy carries em if you want to touch before buying.