Need homes for Patterdale terrier pups

RamblinWreck

They are just now hitting 6 weeks old, will get shots and dewormed tomorrow, and cute as buttons. Tails were cut too short by accident (see other thread HERE if you want to know about the breed). Black with white markings. Great for homes who don't have other small pets like cats or little dogs. Please call if interested 679-644-0792, or PM me. Thanks!

Joe

RamblinWreck

pups2.JPG

Just in time for Christmas!

RamblinWreck

The pups are basically free to very good homes (I'm picky as these dogs are not for the average dog owner). $20 to cover the shots would be appreciated. If their tails weren't cut they would be $500 each. Would love to see them go to homes in the local ATL area so I can check on them and see how they turn out. I thought of Woody's members first.

gabowman

What were the Patterdale terriers bred for? How big do they get and what's the reason for not having any other pets while owning one of these. Just curious.

RamblinWreck

They were bred in the UK for fox and badger hunting "in the ground". Every fox hunting club had a terrierman, and when he wasn't cleaning stables and such, he would be called out on the hunt with his terriers when the chased fox "went to ground" (went down a hole into a "sette"). The terriers go into the hole, chase out the fox (or kill it), and "tally ho" the chase would resume. A more accurate name is "Fell terrier" after the rocky fells around the village of Patterdale, where terriers have been used for varmint and predator control for ages. See the other thread for some links or google 'Patterdale Terrier". In the US, hunting with terriers ( and tunnel trials ) is getting more popular, and since most dog hunting has been outlawed in England, the breeders are sending more dogs to the USA, whereas some breeders have been reluctant to sell/send their dogs to us "Yanks" in the past. Mine are house dogs but get to hunt as well.

They will go after cats, small critters and such (unless carefully raised with them), they can be agressive with strange dogs, and so, they might not be the best pet for everyone. Depends on the temperament of the individual, of course.

RamblinWreck

I know this is an old thread, but I had to post it because I am grieving badly for the little male I kept out of this litter. His name was Max and he lived a long and full life with us, in spite of having Addison's disease, but we lost him Monday. He died in my wife's arms at the vet. There is a huge hole in our hearts he used to fill, an empty and quiet house, and I can't seem to get my grief past stage 4 (depression) to stage 5 (acceptance).

We are trying to cope, but everything reminds me of him, like when I come home and he's not at the door, take him out in the AM, and how I used to share food with him, and go for a walk or a ride. Now, I don't want to go anywhere, I don't want to stay home, I don't want to eat, I don't want to sleep, I just don't want to feel anything. I have been forcing myself to stay busy, but I feel no joy in anything. I haven't even been fishing. It's great to talk to my kids, who are taking it better than me, and a hug always helps, but I guess I'll have to carry on to get the relief that only time provides.

Farewell, Max! You were a good dog in every sense of the word.

God, I loved Maxie. Please take care of him for me.

maxeyes1.jpg
maxbed1.jpg