New bird singing at night

AccUbonD

I know this is a long shot and I cannot provide a good description of the sound but about 1:00am last night I stepped outside and immediately hear a whistle sounding like someone whistle at a normal length. It would do this a couple times then do the same whistle and maybe 5 in a row each one getting shorter and higher pitched. It also seem to get softer. It had another sound that I can’t describe. If this was a whippoorwill I’ve never heard one make those sounds. Any ideas?

Last edited:

AccUbonD

I checked YouTube for bullbats and that was not it. This was more a human whistle, bird was in a tall pine.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Probably a mockingbird. They sing at night this time of year, and make thousands of different sounds.

bilgerat

Senior
I herd the same sounds last night at 11 pm , never herd it before , I thought my neighbors kid was doing it .

JonathanG2013

Talking about mocking birds. My son and I went to camp in our front yard. The bird was making noise from 8:00 PM, until 6AM when I went back inside. Got no sleep at all. Wonder if a nest was near by, or was was being a jerk?

AccUbonD

IDK guys, some of you may be right, I'll be listening and researching this is something I've never heard here my whole life. It immediately got my attention.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm gonna say probably Mockingbird, too.

But I do have an old male Cardinal that just LOVES to sit on the floodlight pole and sing all night sometimes...

Let us know what you figger out!

JDBrown

Around our place it's the night walker bird, they perch on their bicycles in dark back alleys and behind trees and call to each other, sometimes its whistling, other times they hoot at each other. Gotta watch em.

brunofishing

I think I know what you're talking about. But I don't know the name of the bird. The bird builds a mud nest generally on the house or under a covered area like barn or shed. They have a dark colored back (black) and a very light gray breast. Not a barn swallow or Marten. Mabey Eastern Phoebe! They drive me crazy!!!!!