New Plot Cleared over the Weekend

ventilator

Got the Kubota SVL75-2 picked up on friday afternoon. 6 hours work on saturday and my new plot is cleared and stumped. I will use the rake and root grapple this coming weekend to groom it up some. Probably frost seed some crimson clover to start as well. Used a bucket with teeth and a grapple in combo to get up the stumps and move the tree debris. Worked out good as it was my first time clearing anything with a skid steer. I am a novice. IMG_4967.jpgIMG_4965.jpgIMG_0812.jpgIMG_4968.jpg

ventilator

Nice plot! Was the Kubota a rental? What was the learning curve to become comfortable with it?
Yes , it was a rental. 649.00 for the entire weekend. that included the extra 100.00 fee for the extra grapple bucket. It wasnt hard to use after the first 15-20 mins really. Had to get used to driving with joystick vs steering wheel on my tractor. The bucket with teeth was the ticket for the stumps. Amazing what you can do with the machine once I got the hang of it. Loading and unloading on my trailer was NOT my favorite part though. LOL

buckmanmike

I used to use a skid steer with a post hole digger attachment. Had to back it up onto the trailer. One of the guys loaded it going in forward. He got it safely loaded but operater flipped it unloading. Nobody hurt, and had equipment to upright skid steer.
For a small machine they can do alot of work.

ventilator

cleanplot1.jpg
cleanplot2.jpg

All silky smooth and ready to frost seed some clover in a couple weeks. Used my new root grapple and 6' rake on my Kubota 3901. I love the root grapple. I set it at a 45 and it raked out roots like a champ!

ventilator

I have a Kubota SLV7512 and love it. What are you call a root grapple? I have a hydraulic grapple. Please post a pic. Thanks
It is a Hydraulic Grapple with a skeleton frame. Sort of C-shaped with teeth top and bottom. Two hydraulic clamps on top. The teeth on the lower part are for ripping out roots. A regular grapple bucket has a smooth bucket on bottom like a regular bucket but with two hydraulic clamps on top. Ill see if i can find a picture.

ventilator

Update: my frost seeding of crimson clover was pretty much a failure. I have not limed this new plot yet. I plan to plant abruzzi rye in late september, then lime it pretty hard in Jan/Feb after season. Nothing is growing at all in the plot now, other than a few sprigs of clover here and there. My other two established plots are blown up with Durana! Once that stuff gets established, it flat goes crazy! I dont think im going to mow it this summer. Not a lot of weeds in it right now.