New Plot Cleared over the Weekend

ventilator

Why not lime now?
Just dont really have time to get down and do it in summer. I have too much family stuff going on now. I will work on new plots in late september when i get back from elk hunting. I was assuming i couldnt lime and seed rye at the same time.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Lime will take 6 months to make any significant change to your plot.

Attachments

• Top 10 Liming Questions.JPG
    Top 10 Liming Questions.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Top 10 Liming Questions2.JPG
    Top 10 Liming Questions2.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Top 10 liming questions3.JPG
    Top 10 liming questions3.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Ph root growth.JPG
    Ph root growth.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Ph root growth-1.JPG
    Ph root growth-1.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 6

ventilator

Lime will take 6 months to make any significant change to your plot.
Right, appreciate you reposting this. I was aware of the time frame. Thats one reason i didnt even bother with lime this summer, along with having the time. I was thinking that using lime at the same time as seeding was not a good plan. But i may go ahead and do it late september when i broadcast the rye and till it in.

Right, appreciate you reposting this. I was aware of the time frame. Thats one reason i didnt even bother with lime this summer, along with having the time. I was thinking that using lime at the same time as seeding was not a good plan. But i may go ahead and do it late september when i broadcast the rye and till it in.
There are other liming options. Pelletized lime takes around 3 months to be most affective. Fast acting lime takes about a month. Ag lime is the one mentioned above that takes 6 months. It last the longest where as the others doesn’t last as long and cost more.. sit here are options if one chose to plant with less than ideal time frames

Ihunt

Update: my frost seeding of crimson clover was pretty much a failure. I have not limed this new plot yet. I plan to plant abruzzi rye in late september, then lime it pretty hard in Jan/Feb after season. Nothing is growing at all in the plot now, other than a few sprigs of clover here and there. My other two established plots are blown up with Durana! Once that stuff gets established, it flat goes crazy! I dont think im going to mow it this summer. Not a lot of weeds in it right now.
It’s really hard to beat a Durana/Chicory food plot with a winter grain drilled into it in the fall.

Don’t know why I try anything else.