New to shrimping and got a question

Hey all.

I have never been shrimping before and was watching some videos about tossing cast nets for them. I was surprised some of those guys in Jax, Fl were catching lots in the St. John's river. I live in Effingham and wondered if the area of Savannah river just north of Houlihan Bridge would be contain any. That is much closer to me than Tybee or the tidal creeks in Savannah. Reason I ask is because I have seen lots of fiddler crabs up this way so I wondered if shrimp would be there as well.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Jeff

Big7

The Oracle
Call DNR and talk to a Ranger. Not a biologist.
They will know one way or the other. ?

Seanote

I doubt that you will find shrimp north of th Houlihan bridge. The salinity is not high enough that far inland. There are trout in the area in the fall, but I doubt they are following shrimp that far inland. Calling DNR is a good idea, but i think they will confirm this. They were probably casting near the sound in the St. Johns river.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Cast netters catch a lot of shrimp in the St Johns river around Palatka Florida when they start running.

Good information. Thank you all who replied. I’ll just stick with my original plan and head into Savannah one day. I still may give DNR a call, however

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I don't know anyone who castnets for shrimp near Houlihan Bridge, but I've seen the contents of largemouth and striper stomachs packed with shrimp from that area. Despite the above, I would rather spend the 30 minutes more driving towards the coast rather than throw a net up river near Houlihan. Gil