New tractor recommendations

specialk

i've been on tractors since i was about 9yo. just light farming, gardening, foodplots, etc....never been on a 4wd , i guess they're nice....never had a bucket, but i do have a scoop.....if it was in my budget i would defiantly get a 4wd and bucket....i would get one that was easy to detach the loader from the tractor....my neighbor has one and its nice for bush hogging in tight spots...

ScottA

Where are you located? With the acreage you will be working on, you don't need a huge tractor. I bought a Kubota L3901HST with a FEL 7 years ago. I use it on my hunting lease and it has performed great for me. The Front End Loader is a must in my opinion. I can't count the number of times I was either bush hogging or plowing and came across a downed tree across the logging road and was able to just push it out of the way. The Kubota dealer is just 4 miles from my house and 16 miles from my lease, but since I have done the routine maintenance myself (lube fittings, change engine oil & filter, change hydraulic fluid & filter, air filters), I have only had to take in for service once. The model that replaced mine is the L3902HST. Highly recommend going with that size Kubota.

sleepr71

There are multiple threads on here about new tractors. Search & read those. Lots of good info to be had. After having owned about 10 tractors…simpler..is better..IMO. Unless you NEED a Hydrostatic trans…I’d stay away from that can of worms. If I had the property you are describing..I’d try to find a tractor around 50-60HP,4wd,FEL,and at least one set of rear remotes(hydraulics). Then I’d decide what brand based on what local dealerships(and knowledgeable mechanics)are available. If you get one that’s computerized….it will require a factory tech to come out & diagnose lots of “problems” that just never happen on older tractors! Have 2 bigger Kubotas currently & they are good tractors..but they are no better than New Holland,or John Deere. I had a random ECM failure last year. $2800 for the ECM & $500 for the diag…?‍?☠️. The most reliable tractor we have EVER had is a 1981 Ford 2600. If it has a battery..and diesel fuel in it…IT will run & work!! Doesn’t matter if it’s 0,or 100 degrees…that ole girl will get up & go to work! No computer,no fancy transmission to go out,and uses common car parts for lots of things??

TomC

As good as Kubotas are their seats are NOT, particularly on the economy models like the "L" series. I mow about 5 acres a week and it I feel it when I get off the tractor. The new L3902 is essentially the same as the older but still available L3901 but it is suppose to have a better suspension seat. Not an air ride seat but suppose to be better and you can also get armrests which help the old back also when mowing a lot which you could not on the older L3901.

TomC

I agree simple is better but a Hydrostat is not a can of worms, its a Godsend. You will probably end up spending more on clutch work over the long haul than your hydrostat.

Grew up on manual tractors but I'll never buy another one. LOTS of benefits to a hydrosat that you can Google. My property is sloped and having put 350 hrs on my tractor in the past two years I can rarely if ever remember even using or needing to use the brake pedal. May not seem like a benefit but it is. Do any loader, pallet fork, box blade work or back and forth work? Have a spot on your property when mowing that is tricky to mow around when sometime you have to go forward then back up to mow, around a pond edge, etc. You will appreciate the hydro. I almost bought a manual cause thats all I knew. But after a couple of years of research and hearing 95% of the feedback being "get a hydro", I got a hyrdro. VERY GLAD I did! Just make sure your tractor has a 3 speed hydrostat. Some companies only have 2 speed hydros. Also compare the smoothness or in many cases jerkiness of loader, bucket and 3pt of Kubotas verses the others. There are differences. Overall, Kubotas are just a more refined product!

mattb78

Not getting a HST was a big decision for me. I do think you have to drive one. Mostly plowing and mowing I don't think HST is a necessity but some will disagree.

As a side note, I remember years ago when Kubota was the new guy on the block undercutting JD prices and many people badmouthed Kubota. I feel in some way this is happening again with Kubota v. Mahindra.

specialk

The most reliable tractor we have EVER had is a 1981 Ford 2600. If it has a battery..and diesel fuel in it…IT will run & work!! Doesn’t matter if it’s 0,or 100 degrees…that ole girl will get up & go to work! No computer,no fancy transmission to go out,and uses common car parts for lots of things??

got a 87 red international harvester diesiel 385....plenty of tractor for bush hogging and food plotting....fairly easy to fix/service....

Elkbane

I've had 2 tractors thus far. I originally bought a 2014 Kubota L4600 (gear tractor) and it was fine for general farm operations, worked fairly well with a 6 foot medium duty bush hog. When my brother-in-law passed away, I traded my L4600 and sized matched implements to his estate for his 2008 MX-5100 and some heavier implements (same # of hours). The additional frame weight, loaded rear tires and HD 7 ft bush hog made a HUGE difference in productivity. It eats sweetgum saplings. Basically, if you can push it over, you can mow it. And doesn't bog down as much mowing food plots with heavy residual.

When people tell you there is a big difference in higher HP small tractors and lower HP large tractors, believe them. It's true, I've lived it.

Get one size larger than you think you need. I've never heard anyone say, "Gosh, I wish I had LESS horsepower".

Elkbane

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Looking for recommendations on a new 40-50 hp tractor. Mainly bushhogging 10 acres and food plots on about 5 acres plus general farm work.. Dealer recommendations welcome too ( in NE Ga)
Kubota in Carnesville GA. Talk to Tyler Hill salesman, he gave me the best price upfront not like a car dealer. I compared that with 3-4 other dealers and he was the best. There is also a used dealer across the road from them that might have something that interests you. I don't know anything about them. And JD is a 1/2 mile up the road if you want to stop by them. But for that size I'd go orange

Anderson SC has a Koti dealer but I never compared them when I was buying

Ihunt

Been told by many people way smarter than me about tractors that say the smaller JDs (under 100hp) are not the same quality as the larger ones. With that said, I’ve been on a few of them and I wouldn’t have a problem with one being under my barn.