New trapper

Shad30

Me and my 13 year old have been at it for a month now and really enjoying it. 3 fox and bunch of coon/oppussum but no coyote. we just gained access to new property and its loaded with coyote. 1st night had 1 caught but he dug 2 ft down to release the anchor and disappeared with our trap. sunday morning we checked and had 3 pulled tight with no animal. Pretty sure we had a deer in 1 and luckily it pulled free. lol Really not sure about the other 2 that were pulled tight. Kinda frustrated because i know i'm probably doing something wrong. The land owner gets pics of coyotes every night....guess it'll happen.

Doug B.

Me and my 13 year old have been at it for a month now and really enjoying it. 3 fox and bunch of coon/oppussum but no coyote. we just gained access to new property and its loaded with coyote. 1st night had 1 caught but he dug 2 ft down to release the anchor and disappeared with our trap. sunday morning we checked and had 3 pulled tight with no animal. Pretty sure we had a deer in 1 and luckily it pulled free. lol Really not sure about the other 2 that were pulled tight. Kinda frustrated because i know i'm probably doing something wrong. The land owner gets pics of coyotes every night....guess it'll happen.
Welcome to the trapping forum!!!!!

Congratulations on the catches!!!!! There is a catch thread on this forum, feel free to post pictures of your catches there!

I have never had a coyote dig enough to get the anchor pulled out. I have had somebody dig my trap up though.

The three traps you had that were tripped and pulled to the end of the chain were most likely all deer. That is usually what causes that as they step in the trap and pull out and pull the trap to the end of the chain.

Shad30

Welcome to the trapping forum!!!!!

Congratulations on the catches!!!!! There is a catch thread on this forum, feel free to post pictures of your catches there!

I have never had a coyote dig enough to get the anchor pulled out. I have had somebody dig my trap up though.

The three traps you had that were tripped and pulled to the end of the chain were most likely all deer. That is usually what causes that as they step in the trap and pull out and pull the trap to the end of the chain.
yeah the dug up trap was all torn up around the area and could see his tracks. he made a mess of the area before digging. Ground was so frozen Saturday and sunday i couldn't really tell what was in it. We trying to figure it out though. lol

Last edited:

Doug B.

yeah the dug up trap was all torn up around the area and could see his tracks. he made a mess of the area before digging. Ground was so frozen Saturday and sunday i couldn't really tell what was in it. We trying to figure it out though. lol
It sounds like you are getting it figured out! Just keep it up. Things will happen that you didn't think about and sometimes you can't explain. There is a lot of good information on this forum if you go back and look and read earlier threads. There is also some really good trappers on here if you have any questions and they are willing to help with their knowledge.

I'm glad you are enjoying it with your child!

canine933

Must have been very sandy and caught by the back leg.