Newbie fly fisherman

CaptainCraig

I had a customer bring along a fly rod on a 12 hour charter a few years ago. He said he had always wanted to catch a Red Snapper on a fly an after chumming him up a nice 10 pounder I have been hooked ever since. I have know idea what I need as far as rod weight but I catch Trout in the 5 pound range on spinning tackle so my question is will one rod work for everything from stockers to fish of that size. Also is there a place around Atlanta where I can get a quality outfit at a reasonable price or am I better ordering it online? This seems to be a pretty hard sport to get into but im about to dive in head first.

fishnpreacher

Alot of folks get by with one main outfit. But once the addiction hits you will want more. ::ke:
A 6wt, 9ft rod should fit what you are looking for. Plenty enough to handle a 5 pounder, and forgiving enough for stockers. A 5wt will work, but when fighting a 5+, it may tire the fish too much for a good catch and release.
For a good flyshop in Atlanta, try the Fish Hawk, outside Atlanta, Unicoi Outfitters is my go-to. They have a shop in Helen and one in Blue Ridge.
Bass Pro has some outfits, and there are several Orvis shops around.
Check out NGTO message board. There are plenty of good shops advertised there
http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Alot of folks get by with one main outfit. But once the addiction hits you will want more. ::ke:
A 6wt, 9ft rod should fit what you are looking for. Plenty enough to handle a 5 pounder, and forgiving enough for stockers. A 5wt will work, but when fighting a 5+, it may tire the fish too much for a good catch and release.
For a good flyshop in Atlanta, try the Fish Hawk, outside Atlanta, Unicoi Outfitters is my go-to. They have a shop in Helen and one in Blue Ridge.
Bass Pro has some outfits, and there are several Orvis shops around.
Check out NGTO message board. There are plenty of good shops advertised there
http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php?

...X2 on all the above!

overbrook

FishinPreacher gave you solid advice....I'll add that when purchasing your 1st outfit....put more money into the rod and line and a little less into the reel....unless you are catching huge fish like 15 pd steelhead or saltwater...the reel serves more as line storage than anything else.....If I had $300 to put into my outfit...I'd buy a $200 TFO rod or maybe a "cheaper" St.Croix or sage...maybe check Ebay for a good deal on a used rod (nothing wrong with buying used equipment) I'd put another $60 into the line and about $40 into the reel. You can probably pick up a good line on sale for $40 or mabye even a little less...something like a Cortland 444 and maybe put about $50 into a Redington reel? but get a decent rod and line above all else. Oh...and like Prech said.... you'll be buying more :rofl:

allenww

Rod (and line)weight

have know idea what I need as far as rod weight but I catch Trout in the 5 pound range on spinning tackle ... QUOTE]

There are almost as many things to buy for fly fishing as there are for bass. But they are cheaper.

A 5# fish - bass or trout - needs an 8 wt rod to land every one. But you will have more fun fishing a 4wt rod, which I believe to be best all around for Georgia. Larger bass seem to live deeper anyway. But for bream or crappie or the generic "sunfish" or most trout, the four will do fine. Eventually, if you like flyfishing, you will have other weights as well.

wa

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Yep I got a 3,a 5 and a 6 wt. I am gonna get a 8/9 for salt one of these days.:biggrin3:

allenww

Closest shop to you, I think, is going to be Willie's "The Fly Box"
a hundred feet west of the Hobby Lobby, which is in that sprawl
left of 75 North at Northpoint.

There is a new place in Cartersville, but I can't speak for it; never been.

Then there is the Fish Hawk, in Buckhead, and further north on Peachtree is Orvis.

In Blue Ridge and Helen are branches of Unicoi Outfitters. Nobody in Georgia has done more for the sport.

It seems like my recreation budget is always tight. The new American Tackle "Matrix" rods are available as kits at Mudhole
and Hook & Hackle. Hard to beat their prices if there is one in the line you like. And though I have never be a customer, Gremlin
fishing online will sell you a built Matrix for $80.

wa

allenww

Closest shop to you, I think, is going to be Willie's "The Fly Box"
a hundred feet west of the Hobby Lobby, which is in that sprawl
left of 75 North at Northpoint.

There is a new place in Cartersville, but I can't speak for it; never been.

Then there is the Fish Hawk, in Buckhead, and further north on Peachtree is Orvis.

In Blue Ridge and Helen are branches of Unicoi Outfitters. Nobody in Georgia has done more for the sport.

It seems like my recreation budget is always tight. The new American Tackle "Matrix" rods are available as kits at Mudhole
and Hook & Hackle. Hard to beat their prices if there is one in the line you like. And though I have never been a customer, Gremlin
fishing online will sell you a built Matrix for $80. (!)

wa

wa

luv2drum

Yep the fly box at Town Place off of Barret pkwy right beside Play it Again Sports. Also, Natures Tackle Box in Hiram the K-mart shopping center off hwy 278. David and Christie are great folks and have helped me alot.
Oh yeah Cohutta Fishing Company is the one in Cartersville. Just off main street behind Longhorn. I've been to all three shops and like all of them, they all are very knowledgable and great people to deal with.
Oh and there is a REI over near the Fly Box, great place for maps etc.

BTW, I live near Hiram, if you want another "newbie" to laugh with. Some of my buddies say I'm very entertaining to watch fishing.

Last edited:

fishnpreacher

BTW, I live near Hiram, if you want another "newbie" to laugh with. Some of my buddies say I'm very entertaining to watch fishing.

I heard one guy who said his casting style was somewhat similar to an old lady fighting off a swarm of bees with a stick.

Enjoy the addiction, Cap'n

luv2drum

I heard one guy who said his casting style was somewhat similar to an old lady fighting off a swarm of bees with a stick.

Enjoy the addiction, Cap'n

That sounds like mine when I first started. :whip:
My buddy kept saying I was going to break the line from snapping it so hard and fast.::ke:
David at Nature's Tackle box finally got me to slow down my tempo.

CaptainCraig

Thanks for all the info. I can't wait to get started. Fly fishing has always interested me but for some reason I never took it up.