No kill, but a very fun hunt

44magpastor

Me and a couple of older gentlemen went for a Sunday evening-Monday morning hunt. We didn't kill a bird, but had a great time.

Sunday evening, we set up on a powerline, to see what might happen. One of the older guys was our caller and he was in the center. Another guy on his right, I was on the left, about 40 yards inside the woods. For an hour and a half there was nothing. Dead silence.

About 6:50 the guy yelps, and I hear it pretty distinctly....GOBBLE! Usually a gobble in the pm = dead bird, so get ready.

Just a few min later, on my right........GOBBLE!! Sounds like he is right on top of the other guys. There is brush between us, so I cant see them, or whats going on. I'm expecting a shot any second. Nothing. Few min later....."Putt! Putt! Putt!" I can hear the bird, just to my right, but still cant see him. He kept that up for 5 min.....then silence., and we eventually leave.

When we get back together, I ask, "What happened?"

The guy calling said, he was facing the wrong way, and the gobbler came straight down the powerline. He had cut the distance in a matter of seconds, and was on top of him before he knew what was happening. He couldn't get around for the shot, and it wasnt safe for the other guy to shoot either. The gobbler hung around for a bit, then wandered off.

The old gentleman told me "You remember the ones you missed out on, more than the ones you get"

Great time.

DynamicDennis

I missed out on several last weekend, learned from the first bird (on neighbors property) and just kinda passed on the second. Had a bird at 20yds and just could not pull the trigger. My wife and daughter went to store, and I took a quick walk and struck this bird 2pm. Came right to me, had the gun on him and I couldn't shoot him. I really want my daughter to get her first gobbler, she got a jake last year but I am letting her shoot first. Of course when I tell them what happened both of them looked at me like I was crazy for not kiling him. Was still a rush though, almost better than a kill.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Id agree with the memory thing, but I haven’t killed one yet, so I’ll have to let you know about that later. Yesterday I had so much fun I almost posted it!
I had a Jake coming in from the right and he needed to take 3-5 more steps before I could see him from my blind. I mean he was right there! I think I saw him and his girlfriend a few hundred yards up the rd on the way in. I also had a gobbler across the street in the closet field to the little 5 acre lot I’m on this week. Gonna try and get him to cross the road tomorrow! Just talking Turkey and getting them close is a blast! But it is time to kill one!