No till fall food plots?

tmiller

With the diesel prices going up and up (Lets Go Brandon) and who knows where they will be in the fall, it got me thinking about putting in my fall plots (cereals, brassicas and clover) in a no till method. Anybody ever done it? Pros/Cons or tips? I have watched all the Grant Woods video's on it but wondering how successful it might be here in Georgia? Also wondering about using the firminator vs a true drill? I have access to both.

davidhelmly

A true no till drill will work the best but a Firminator will work well also with the right soil conditions.
I use a no till at work every year and a Woods that is similar to a Firminator for my personal plots and they are both, one pass and done.

tmiller

A true no till drill will work the best but a Firminator will work well also with the right soil conditions.
I use a no till at work every year and a Woods that is similar to a Firminator for my personal plots and they are both, one pass and done.

David, do you spray then bush hog or just drill through everything thats there like Dr Woods does?

GatorHeuss

I went to no till couple of seasons ago and won't ever go back. Bought a 3P606NT compact drill and use it with a Kubota M7060 and its legit. For my spring plots I spent 2 days planting about 15-16 acres. That would have taken me a week doing it with a disk, cultipacker, spreader, etc. The time I saved and ease of planting is worth the upfront cost of the no till.

tmiller

I went to no till couple of seasons ago and won't ever go back. Bought a 3P606NT compact drill and use it with a Kubota M7060 and its legit. For my spring plots I spent 2 days planting about 15-16 acres. That would have taken me a week doing it with a disk, cultipacker, spreader, etc. The time I saved and ease of planting is worth the upfront cost of the no till.
Awesome! Any tips? wait till after a rain? Bushhog, spray, then plant? Increase your seed rate some?

GatorHeuss

We just started no tilling a few seasons ago, so we still spray our plots a few weeks prior to planting. This doesn't take much time at all if you have a big sprayer, like few hours. Eventually we will eliminate any spraying. We also have lime and fertilize applied per our soil test the week before planting. Sometimes we use chicken litter others bag fertilizer. We will eventually not need to pay to have the fertilizing done. We basically plant/drill into last season's now dead plot mix. The drill came with an instructions book that tells you what to set the machine to for planting and how to calibrate the drill. It is really basic and easy to do. I fill the boxes up and go. The 3P606NT is heavy so it cuts right into the ground at the depth you set it to. Only thing is now I like long rectangular plots. The time it saves is huge, but if I can eliminate even 50% of the spraying, lime and litter that would be fantastic.

davidhelmly

David, do you spray then bush hog or just drill through everything thats there like Dr Woods does?
If the area I’m playing is weeds I will spray it with glyphosate just before spraying, most times I am planting into an existing plot so I skip the spray and mow and just plant thru what’s already there.
We keep pretty much all of our plots in a clover mix and then drill brassica and cereal grain into the clover in the fall. Doing it that way there is food for the deer 365 days a year, no bare periods.