Northern Lights Trip

GT90

Looking for tips from folks that have done a trip to see them. This is on the wife's bucket list (mine too) and I am in the process of researching. Will probably happen Winter of 2023/24. Zeroing in on Alaska, Canada or Iceland. The MAIN goal is to see the lights and I know it can be hit or miss based on how active the Sun is and local weather. Obviously we need to do something during the day but all the above listed locales I am sure will have day activities. Hoping folks that have done this or something similar can provide some insight and guidance.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
This was my first date with my wife. Sitting in a volcanic hot spring watching the northern lights did not sux.

GT90

Looking for tips from folks that have done a trip to see them. This is on the wife's bucket list (mine too) and I am in the process of researching. Will probably happen Winter of 2023/24. Zeroing in on Alaska, Canada or Iceland. The MAIN goal is to see the lights and I know it can be hit or miss based on how active the Sun is and local weather. Obviously we need to do something during the day but all the above listed locales I am sure will have day activities. Hoping folks that have done this or something similar can provide some insight and guidance.
Thanks and setting the bar high for a first date :clap:

TNRick

Daughter and SIL are in Iceland now. They have been there 2 nights and already have some great pictures. They even have one out of the taxi on the way from the airport. On my bucket list

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Thanks and setting the bar high for a first date :clap:

If you don’t go up in the winter there’s Denali and a paddle boat on the river to enjoy as well. If you decide to go this way PM me and we can talk. I was up there couple weeks ago and been going for decades.

GT90

Win-Win scenario. And we are way off topic. But as the OP if it makes a difference I am ok with that.

trial&error

Been trying to plan one as well. If you have passports and plan ahead $1600 per person 6 nights with airfare in Reykjavik. or you can do 6 nights in Scandinavia Oslo, Copenhagen, and Stockholm for $1200 per person. The website in the hyper links is real, I've made several trips with them and I'm going to Munich, Prague, Vienna , and Budapest in 2 weeks on their christmas market tours. Those prices include your airfare, hotel, and trains if needed. Prices vary by date you arrive and how far you plan ahead.

GT90

Been trying to plan one as well. If you have passports and plan ahead $1600 per person 6 nights with airfare in Reykjavik. or you can do 6 nights in Scandinavia Oslo, Copenhagen, and Stockholm for $1200 per person. The website in the hyper links is real, I've made several trips with them and I'm going to Munich, Prague, Vienna , and Budapest in 2 weeks on their christmas market tours. Those prices include your airfare, hotel, and trains if needed. Prices vary by date you arrive and how far you plan ahead.
Thanks. I will look at these.

huntfish

It's a fascinating scene to take in. I lived in Alaska and saw it many times and each one is different. Look for other activities also.

chase870

Possum Sox
The first two years I hunted in Canada I saw them and never again in 20 years it was cool and I never understood why the never showed up again same time and location each year

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

oldfella1962

I worked the night shift in Fairbanks Alaska in winter outside loading bombs. I saw the northern lights constantly. I would recommend somewhere warmer to see them, like Iceland versus Fairbanks Alaska.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It is something to see . I seen them in the early 90’s on a deer hunting trip in Canada . Something I’ll never forget