Oaky woods

Gbr5pb

Just seen were they added 600 acres to the WMA. Which ones of y’all just lost your lease?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I was just about to post on this!! This great news! I think I’m gonna take another look at Oaky! I’ve been down there a few times but it’s easily been 10 years since. It seems like every time I’ve been down there we’ve seen game, cept the last few when a lease took a chunk of it.."…it was a big disappointment.
I remember the first time we went down there we parked at a powerline and started to walk down. After walking about 25 yards we saw something black cross the powerline within 100 yards. It was either a bear or a pig could’ve been either. As we stood there looking for it, a big buck poked his head out on the right hand side no more than 80 yards! Then it was a stare down for about 10 minutes maybe 15 minutes and this was a big buck! finally he knew something was wrong and he blew out the loudest sound I’ve ever heard a deer make. When he blew at us it sounded like a trombone, but it was louder than the loudest trombone I’ve ever heard….and I used to sit in front of them! It was a nostalgic moment I always think of when I think of oaky.
It’s a just under 2 hours drive for me so it’s a whole day if I go…..at least. Wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t have to drive though the ATL! If We lose Pinelog,I bet this place will see a bunch more traffic!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
They cutting timber like mad on Oaky Woods the last few months.
The hillside by the radio tower has been skint back.
I used to love hunting Oaky, to many folks now.

Jim Boyd

Georgia does a wonderful job with public land.

Cutting timber is simply part of the equation.

600 acres = almost a square mile added.

Lots of critters.

Gbr5pb

Still wondering who hunted the 600 acres last year and having to find a new place this year! Ain’t like they made any more land

BBond

They cutting timber like mad on Oaky Woods the last few months.
The hillside by the radio tower has been skint back.
I used to love hunting Oaky, to many folks now.
All the cutting by the tower is not on Oaky Woods WMA. It is private property. It was what once was part of the Oaky Woods lease about 10+ years ago.

Now on the WMA, we have had some thins and a few clear cuts near the loop on the east side. There's a lot of timber to thin. Also some clear cuts for pine and hardwood regeneration to be done also.

The 600+ acres purchased was from a single landowner along the river and was not leased out prior.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
All the cutting by the tower is not on Oaky Woods WMA. It is private property. It was what once was part of the Oaky Woods lease about 10+ years ago.

Now on the WMA, we have had some thins and a few clear cuts near the loop on the east side. There's a lot of timber to thin. Also some clear cuts for pine and hardwood regeneration to be done also.

The 600+ acres purchased was from a single landowner along the river and was not leased out prior.
So the property along Fritos property line is private owned?

I haven't stepped foot on Oaky since that mess with it being sold to C Ayers and his cronies.

I can see the cutting from Fritos side while working and watch the trucks come and go on Oaky Woods road.

BBond

So the property along Fritos property line is private owned?

I haven't stepped foot on Oaky since that mess with it being sold to C Ayers and his cronies.

I can see the cutting from Fritos side while working and watch the trucks come and go on Oaky Woods road.
Yep
Everything right behind Frito and the spray fields is privately held. You have to go past the powerline before you get near to Oaky now.

Oaky map can be seen on the attached PDF or go to
https://gadnrwrd.maps.arcgis.com/ap...243795d0&extent=-83.737,32.331,-83.323,32.568

Attachments

• OW-huntmap-2023-online-01062023.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Yep
Everything right behind Frito and the spray fields is privately held. You have to go past the powerline before you get near to Oaky now.

Oaky map can be seen on the attached PDF or go to
https://gadnrwrd.maps.arcgis.com/ap...243795d0&extent=-83.737,32.331,-83.323,32.568

Thanks.

Seen a couple of guys huntng near our property fences this year, when there was no hunts listed on Oaky.

Thought they was trespassing. Guess not. Hunting near a active LAS system wasn't fun I bet.

You happen to know about what's going on where the trees were cleared out over behind the old deer processing place in Kathleen? Rumor has it, that it's going to be new houses. If so, folks going to mad when we water LAS fields 7/8 that border that area

BBond

Thanks.

Seen a couple of guys huntng near our property fences this year, when there was no hunts listed on Oaky.

Thought they was trespassing. Guess not. Hunting near a active LAS system wasn't fun I bet.

You happen to know about what's going on where the trees were cleared out over behind the old deer processing place in Kathleen? Rumor has it, that it's going to be new houses. If so, folks going to mad when we water LAS fields 7/8 that border that area
Only the same rumor and we've heard that for a long time now. Nothing first or second hand or concrete. So I don't know exactly.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

Arrow3

I hunted on the new tract on the early December hunt this season.