Got the sad news today - I have my lease one more season.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I’ve leased an old farm from a private family since 1997. The ole man passed several years ago, the wife passed about a month ago. Their only living child inherited everything and she plans to build a house and let her daughter move into the old home place.

Had a ton of good hunts, kilt some good bucks and turkey on it, cut a bunch of hay there, raised a few cows there, too. Got 4 ponds I need to wear out……stocked 700 cats in one several years ago. We do get to fish it a few more years.

My son grew up over there, and his 3 year son got to go hunting a few times with us there. Those folks were very good to us - we started out paying $9 per acre in 1997 and they went up to $12 in 2005 and we’ve paid $12 since.

This was only 10 miles from my house!!! We are lease hunting now.

fullstrut

Yeah that is a let down for sure. Bought 30 acres in Olgelthorpe County, GA last year and leased the 50 acres that is adjoining my land. Now the 50 acres is for sale and had a great Duck Swamp too. Owner said I can hunt it for free until sold. Sort lived , but I still have mine and I'm blessed. Good luck on your new hunting grounds.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Yeah that is a let down for sure. Bought 30 acres in Olgelthorpe County, GA last year and leased the 50 acres that is adjoining my land. Now the 50 acres is for sale and had a great Duck Swamp too. Owner said I can hunt it for free until sold. Sort lived , but I still have mine and I'm blessed. Good luck on your new hunting grounds.
We live on enough to hunt but I’d rather get another good lease.

We plan to buy a tract of land over the next couple years anyway because I knew it was coming at some point. Thanks! Hopefully you can grab the 50 acres from the new owner.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Been through this several times and it does hurt. Take a lot of pics and videos of that place. Last place I lost Id hunted for over 20 years. I knew it was the last year to hunt it and I took a lot of videos and pics of the place. Soon after losing the lease they went in there and leveled it. Huge, beautiful hardwoods, all gone. Swamp was cut out as well. Sad to see!

Jim Boyd

I’ve leased an old farm from a private family since 1997. The ole man passed several years ago, the wife passed about a month ago. Their only living child inherited everything and she plans to build a house and let her daughter move into the old home place.

Had a ton of good hunts, kilt some good bucks and turkey on it, cut a bunch of hay there, raised a few cows there, too. Got 4 ponds I need to wear out……stocked 700 cats in one several years ago. We do get to fish it a few more years.

My son grew up over there, and his 3 year son got to go hunting a few times with us there. Those folks were very good to us - we started out paying $9 per acre in 1997 and they went up to $12 in 2005 and we’ve paid $12 since.

This was only 10 miles from my house!!! We are lease hunting now.

Good luck @Spotlite !

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Ask her what it will cost to keep it. You have got outbid at that price.
No her granddaughter is moving in there. They’ve already started cleaning up old barns and clearing stuff. Buddy of mine is meeting them next week to go over the remod for the house and the clearing that’s needed to run new fence for a goat farm.

They’ve had many offers over the years to pay them more but this was their home place. We’d established a relationship and we took care of a good bit of stuff for them.

Worley

Hate that fella, I had the same story come to an end this year…went from 300 acres to hunt right down the road to - grand total of about 9 acres of woods to hunt now, but I’m grateful and filled the freezer….Best of luck buddy.

Kebo07

As @jimboyd always said. "Relationships are key". Glad you built one with them and hate you lost the land but cherish those memories and best of luck in your search.

Duff

That stinks!!

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Redbow

At the least the property isn't going to be developed for housing like 150 acres near us is going to be. A developer paid over 2 million dollars for that property. Another big housing project coming soon, just what everyone around our area needs. Hate it for you that you lost that land though.

I will take a goat farm over a housing development any day.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That stinks!!

Hope you find what you are looking for!
We are discussing the tract next door to where we are now. It’s currently leased but they’re not happy because the owner sold a portion across the road to a farmer. If we can get this, we can still hunt about half of what we are loosing as long as we stay on the back side of the creek.

Right now - it’s all just talk.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
At the least the property isn't going to be developed for housing like 150 acres near us is going to be. A developer paid over 2 million dollars for that property. Another big housing project coming soon, just what everyone around our area needs. Hate it for you that you lost that land though.

I will take a goat farm over a housing development any day.
This was my thought , especially in our area

rstallings1979

Sorry to hear. At least the granddaughter isn’t selling out to solar or developers. Once my boys became of age to start hunting back in 2017 we decided to build a small weekend house and hunt some property we inherited. I hated to tell the hunters that they were losing acreage but I think they understood the fact that we would be on it going forward. They still get to hunt several tracts next to us and I have been able to help them keep the price as low as possible with the landowners since they are part of our family. Once my boys got into sports pretty hard I started letting them turkey hunt our property as well in the spring since we would be at a ball field more than likely. They are good guys who appear to enjoy getting away from the real world on the weekends more than the hunting but I can tell they love the property. It was a tough conversation.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Sorry to hear. At least the granddaughter isn’t selling out to solar or developers. Once my boys became of age to start hunting back in 2017 we decided to build a small weekend house and hunt some property we inherited. I hated to tell the hunters that they were losing acreage but I think they understood the fact that we would be on it going forward. They still get to hunt several tracts next to us and I have been able to help them keep the price as low as possible with the landowners since they are part of our family. Once my boys got into sports pretty hard I started letting them turkey hunt our property as well in the spring since we would be at a ball field more than likely. They are good guys who appear to enjoy getting away from the real world on the weekends more than the hunting but I can tell they love the property. It was a tough conversation.
Yes Sir. I’m sure they understand, especially if they kids. That’s what you do - pass your stuff on to your kids. I said every year we never know when it’s our last. That’s why we’re buying a tract.