Struggling to get excited about the upcoming season.

rugerfan

This is just venting a little and not asking for anything other than an ear to bend on this.

I am struggling big time with getting excited about this upcoming season. I mean I am ready, but things outside of hunting have been a little difficult this last year.

I lost my dad in December of 2022, 2 days after Christmas, I spoke to him on Christmas Eve, and he was tired and weak. Then I got the call on the 27th that he was gone. He was one of my hunting mentors in my life, even though we hadn't been hunting together for 20 years, he was still a man to go to for inspiration when it came to hunting. He would call to discuss strategy, ask if I had any sightings etc. Would ask how my rifle was shooting, and I will greatly miss that.

Then in January of 2023 I lost one of my best friends. He was 18 years older than me, but just one heck of a man. Also a golfing and hunting buddy. He was rather vocal about not agreeing with my decision to give up on Hunting clubs and venture out on my own on public lands, but after a few years of my success, he came to me to eat some crow in my presence. We got to hunt a few hours together last year, and that was it.

In February my long-time supervisor left the company I worked for, so I got promoted, inherited his responsibilities and we have been struggling to find me help to take over my responsibilities, so I have been tasked to take care of both, compensation has not been the issue, just burn out.

On top of that, my Wife's family is scheduling get togethers for the next several weekends. Of course, they do not hunt, and can't seem to understand why I seam disappointed. Well DUH!!!!! So, things are just a mess and carving out time to hunt in October is going to be challenging to say the least.

Anyway it looks like I may be able to get out for Muzzleloader opener this Saturday, then a few hours in the morning next Saturday. The weekend of the 28th and 29th are out. So come on November.

In closing, thank you for reading, I guess I just needed to whine and complain a little. It is all good call me a wuss, I can take it!!!!!

In all seriousness, I want to wish you all a safe and productive season this year. Congratulations to all of you that have scored with your bow and crossbows.

sprewett

Sometimes ya just gotta let out the pressure release valve! You ain't no wuss there are times in everyone of our lives we need someone to listen to our problems. I wish ya the best this season and even if you don't kill anything I hope you get to enjoy watching the woods wake up from your stand and go back to sleep doing the same. Have a great season and I am sorry about your father and friend.

flatwoods

I have been there.
Things happen sometimes.
I have been the most rabid deer hunter you can imagine. My whole life. Messed up some things at times.
Never would have dreamed that I would give it up but I have had times like you speak of.
Then things change and I'm as crazy as ever.
It's in the blood.
I wouldn't worry about it a bit. You'll find your way.

How's that rifle shooting?? :)

rugerfan

I have been there.
Things happen sometimes.
I have been the most rabid deer hunter you can imagine. My whole life. Messed up some things at times.
Never would have dreamed that I would give it up but I have had times like you speak of.
Then things change and I'm as crazy as ever.
It's in the blood.
I wouldn't worry about it a bit. You'll find your way.

How's that rifle shooting?? :)

Dead on at a 100 sir, same with the muzzleloader. Thank you sir.

rugerfan

If you need an excuse to get away I will volunteer to come take you hostage and hold you for ransom for a weekend.
LOL I will keep that in mind!

rugerfan

In tough time like you speak of, the only solace I have found is in the woods. I think you'll be the same. And I'm sorry you're going through this
thank you

ScLowCountry

I lost a great friend and my hunting partner December 2021. My mother is dying of terminal cancer. I can barely get in the woods this year. I usually hunt 5 days a week. I've been twice this year.

It's just not the same anymore. I hope I get excited soon.

I know how you feel my friend. It's like I want to go but I have no drive

rugerfan

I lost a great friend and my hunting partner December 2021. My mother is dying of terminal cancer. I can barely get in the woods this year. I usually hunt 5 days a week. I've been twice this year.

It's just not the same anymore. I hope I get excited soon.

I know how you feel my friend. It's like I want to go but I have no drive
My condolences to you! Thank you for responding.

ScLowCountry

My condolences to you! Thank you for responding.
Thank you, it's just hard to hunt when you don't have someone to share the excitement with.

My friend was older as well. We hunting public together exclusively. He taught me so much. It's hard when you reach for your phone to text and update about your sit, and you realize you don't have someone who shares the same excitement as you.

I try to text my buddy everytime I go hunting only to be reminded he is gone. I struggle to find someone else that wants to put In the work on public like I do

HavocLover

My dad is the main reason I’m so ate up with it. He was obsessed with it to a fault. I remember him being unpleasant to be around when he wouldn't hunt, but could help it. Whether it be a family ordeal he was attending when he could be in the woods, whatever. Nowadays he still enjoys it, but could care less, and I’ll tell ya, that’s KILLS me. Knowing how he used to be, it just bugs me that he’s just like.. oh whatever, these days.

My best friend, we’ve been tight since 3rd grade and we used to swap out weekends during hunting season. He’d stay a whole weekend with me and vise versa. We’d shoot the woods up.

I can’t speak for you, but I can tell you for me, if I lost either one of them, I couldn’t find a better excuse to get in the woods and enjoy the moment. I hope you find your peace with it and find the time to make it work.

Hunter922

Hunting can be all curing. It is for me. I talk to lost family members, my mom and my uncle are two regulars. Like i have always taught my son it has to be about more than the harvest.. Hope your mind is clear, you have success and most importantly you heal.

slow motion

I have no answers for you but will remember you in my prayers. I believe the loved ones lost would understand your grief but would also want you to find happiness in the things you enjoy. I take Pop's thermos with me. Perhaps there's something you could carry to help you feel connected.

rugerfan

I have no answers for you but will remember you in my prayers. I believe the loved ones lost would understand your grief but would also want you to find happiness in the things you enjoy. I take Pop's thermos with me. Perhaps there's something you could carry to help you feel connected.
Thank you, and I carry and use my Dad's Elk Antler hunting knife.

rugerfan

Hunting can be all curing. It is for me. I talk to lost family members, my mom and my uncle are two regulars. Like i have always taught my son it has to be about more than the harvest.. Hope your mind is clear, you have success and most importantly you heal.
Thank you, I wish you and your son great success this season as well, I always enjoy seeing the posts from the both of you.