Oconee River Opinions Wanted

Gorilla Bass

Looking for some opinions on a "do-it-all" aluminum boat. Does anyone have experience out on the oconee river (milledgeville dam to dublin area) in an aluminum bass boat? Looking to upgrade but not sure which direction to go in. I've looked at so many options my head is spinning. I like the layout & deckspace of an aluminum bass boat (G3 Sportsman / Seaark RXT/ Crestliner Ridge etc.) but not sure it'll be able run as shallow as I'd like even with a jack plate. Also considering a center console tunnel hull prop or jet (G3 CCT / Crestliner Retriever / Lowe Pathfinder etc.) but I don't particularly like the layout especially the tiny deckspace they all seem to have. Jet motor seems like it'll run in a puddle but I've heard they're nothing but a headache. Prop motor opens up some other options as far as lakes etc. but is probably asking for trouble in the river which is where I primarily will be. Not looking to race up river, would it be doable putting along from spot to spot with the motor trimmed up? Any opinions appreciated!

ribber

No experience with a jet motor, but the river is big enough to navigate with a 16 ft boat around Dublin and much further upstream. Generally, the Dublin area and upstream has a lot of rocky areas that will destroy a prop when it's low. Downstream from I-16 bridge virtually no rocks, but it's more silted up and sandy down that way so you have to stay in the channel.

Arrow3

Check out the Lowe Roughneck 1860.

I have one and absolutely love it.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1677639811268.jpg
    FB_IMG_1677639811268.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 28

Lilly001

I went through the same search last year.
I found most locals seem to run 14/48 to 12/42 flat hulls with a 20-30 hp prop engine.
Im south of the I-16 bridge so I don’t have as bad rocks (they are still a factor) so I settled on an older Bass tracker panfisher with stick steer and a 40 hp prop.
The river changes so much depending on the water level that one boat isn’t ideal all the time.
I went a little bigger for safety during higher water. But it does limit me when the water is low.

ribber

Looking for some opinions on a "do-it-all" aluminum boat. Does anyone have experience out on the oconee river (milledgeville dam to dublin area) in an aluminum bass boat? Looking to upgrade but not sure which direction to go in. I've looked at so many options my head is spinning. I like the layout & deckspace of an aluminum bass boat (G3 Sportsman / Seaark RXT/ Crestliner Ridge etc.) but not sure it'll be able run as shallow as I'd like even with a jack plate. Also considering a center console tunnel hull prop or jet (G3 CCT / Crestliner Retriever / Lowe Pathfinder etc.) but I don't particularly like the layout especially the tiny deckspace they all seem to have. Jet motor seems like it'll run in a puddle but I've heard they're nothing but a headache. Prop motor opens up some other options as far as lakes etc. but is probably asking for trouble in the river which is where I primarily will be. Not looking to race up river, would it be doable putting along from spot to spot with the motor trimmed up? Any opinions appreciated!
Just get you a 1648 stick steer with a 40-50 hp and tilt and trim. That's what I have and I fish the Oconee river and the lake with it. It's about as close to a do it all boat as it gets. Trim the motor and go easy when water is low. I've never heard anyone that kept a Jet foot for long. And the few I've been around were really loud with no power, but that was years ago.