Old call

Hillbilly stalker

I was knocking around a buddies shop today….you know how it is…..all the flies come in the barn when it rains.:pop: It’s been raining something fierce here for a couple days, can’t get any turkey hunting done, but you can sure talk up a good hunt. My buddy used to be the walking plague on turkeys and deer. He just don’t hunt anymore. We got to talking bout hunting and I asked him if he had any old calls around ? He said only one he still had around was an old one he had made about 42-43 years ago. He went over to the corner of his shop and pulled out this old box call he had hand made and whittled out a long long time ago. He used a cedar limb out of his mommas yard and a piece of white oak for the lid. He said he had killed several ( read dozens) of birds with it over the years. It ain’t bright and shiny, it isn’t adorned with any fancy engravings or scrimshaw…..but man you wanna talk about a sweet sweet sound.:rockon:. And I have to say….my buddy is the “Charlie Daniels” of the box call. I broke into half strut right there in the middle of his shop !:banana:. He ain’t too bad with a pocket knife either. Anyways….it’s still raining.CFCB5C75-8B6A-4FE2-B331-AEED7E12B5B8.jpegA8ED1A65-006D-4E4A-ADE6-377CE9BBD528.jpeg6C5C4686-8D55-42D5-AC79-EBA6ABC7FA3A.jpegEA897580-8817-4E86-8060-A1CBDEE0E635.jpeg

wvdawg

Staff member
Nice!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mighty fine old box.

Anvil Head

I still play with my dad's old walnut box when in the woods. They make sounds those plastics just can't hit. Besides nothing more exciting than trying to set the box down quiet when ol' double beard shows at 30'.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That’s a very cool story about the call and the gentleman who carved it.