One Grand Summer

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Sweet! Looking forward to the pics!!:cool:

EverGreen1231

I have enjoyed this thread thoroughly. Perhaps the stars will shine more brightly and the big ones will bite.

StriperrHunterr

Doing all the things...

This is a combined screenshot report, and fishing report from last night.

Screenshots are a combination of 8/9, and 8/11. Picture of the fish is 8/11. I forgot the GoPro at home like a moron this morning so I still can't pull those pics yet.

For those interested, the screen shot of the graph with 122ft depth and 144 COG is the one with the streaking fish that busted up the bait ball from the other night. You can see that before the streak the ball was nice and thick, then there's a fish charging out of mid depth, overshooting the bait by a few feet and then dropping back down.

8/11/16 Evening
Wxr: Mid to Upper 80s, Humid, light winds 3-5 mph, muuuuuggy.
Water: Also mid to upper 80s, good visibility, still debris in the water from the rains we've had.

Started last night in the same spot I usually do. Why? Because it's holding fish. So why isn't my total rocketing up? Because only so much of the things you can do to catch a fish are in your control, hence the post title. You can see from the screenshots that I'm doing everything I can do, the fish are chasing the spoons, but they're not hooking up.

Now, I have changed one thing and my catch average is climbing again. My financier, aka wife, was complaining about how expensive the spoons were when I lose them. I can't blame her and, while I still use them, I found some 3 ounce crocodile knock offs online that I'm now adding to the mix. I also changed them. They come with one side looking like the shattered glass pattern, but it wasn't enough to satiate my desires for massive amounts of flash. So while I was up at OBT to pick up the new Parker Spoon repair kits that they sell, snap ring and skirted trokar hooks, I asked him about the reflective tape he uses on his planer boards. He happened to have some tucked away so I wrapped all of the crocodile spoons I bought with that, then vacuum sealed them to cure, to minimize air bubbles and get a good pressure to place them. Combined with the skirted hook they look just like the average herring size you'd buy from the suppliers and it's paying dividends.

The last two trips I've spent more time dropping them and that's what I've caught on. My guests stayed on the Parker as a control, and neither of them caught.

Still, having said that, looking at the screenshots you'll see that we're far from getting the school to go gang busters. There seems to be only one or two active fish in the school, or at least interested in chasing the spoon, despite seeing them run through the bait balls. That's the way it goes when fishing, you can put the perfect bait, with the perfect cast, and work it perfectly right in front of the fish you can see but it's still up to them to hit. We tried burning them in, casting them out and letting them flutter, burning those in, as well as slower cranks on both the drop and cast. We've tried jigging, crank and drop, dead stick, slow flutter back down once we hit the depth of the schools, literally everything I can think of.

Last night wasn't just hard for me, when I got to one of my favorite spots there were already 7 boats working. Knowing that this can often keep a school active, we mosied up, being respectful to not wake, and to not crowd them, and found out that everyone was having the same problems. Granted I had already got my 2 for the night before we joined them, an 11 and a 6 for a total of 17, but they had shut down and moved on, apparently to these other boats, but they weren't catching either. That's the luck of the draw sometimes, and this year seems to be like that more than it's not. Last year if you'd mark 1 or 2, you'd hook up with one and the graph would light up with opportunistic fish streaking in from outside the cone, and from there you could pick up another couple. This year we're marking literal tons of fish every week, it seems, and we don't have the hookups to show for it. Maybe they want a live bait beside the spoon on a downline, maybe they're getting conditioned to the spoon and are taking more action on the trolling techniques, I really don't know.

What I do know is that if I don't make my goal it won't be for lack of finding the fish, and the screeshots you've seen all season bear that out.

We did head off earlier than normal last night, around 745, because we weren't even getting thumps despite being chased around the whole time by fish and I wasn't feeling 100%.

I did meet a gentleman last night who's been reading this thread, it was great to meet you, and having the support of fishermen all over GA through this thread is both humbling and inspiring.

Well, the fish quality seems to be going up, we're breaking 10 pretty regularly, and there's still plenty of season left. Last night's 17 takes me to 172.75, so we're only 80 10 lbers from making this goal a success, by the numbers anyway. I already consider it a success due to the lives that have been changed as a direct result of it. My friend's 28, his biggest fish by a large margin, elfiii's 15 first striper, a buddy of mine who used to think that lake fishing was a worm and cork and lots of boredom, and all of the new friends that I've made over the last few months are far more valuable than any arbitrary number, far more likely to last longer, and arguably what the whole purpose of fishing really is all about.

Thanks for reading, good luck, and tight lines.

Attachments

• S00037.PNG
    S00037.PNG
    523.2 KB · Views: 873
  • S00038.PNG
    S00038.PNG
    509.6 KB · Views: 930
  • S00039.PNG
    S00039.PNG
    464.7 KB · Views: 932
  • S00040.PNG
    S00040.PNG
    478.4 KB · Views: 896
  • S00041.PNG
    S00041.PNG
    478.6 KB · Views: 923
  • S00043.PNG
    S00043.PNG
    511.5 KB · Views: 924
  • S00042.PNG
    S00042.PNG
    517.7 KB · Views: 864

StriperrHunterr

If you get snagged, don't try to rip it out. Go slightly slack line and wiggle the tip enough just to get the line moving. The weight of the lure will often work it loose.

Also, if you feel the rod just load up with weight, don't set the hook. If a striper hits you'll feel the difference. The loading up is just a tree or some other structure and setting the hook almost guarantees a lost lure. Wiggle it to get it out of the tree and you'll be surprised how many fish hit it as soon as it clears the snag.

I just got a PM concerned about snags and wanted to bring this back to the forefront.

If you're using this technique, much like U-rigs, snags are a part of your life. Like I say to my guests, you've got to get in it (the trees) to win it.

Unlike U-rigs, though, if you train yourself to feel the difference in the fish, as well as how to release them, you can get them back with a 9/10 success ratio.

The key is not trying to hammer the hook home if you feel it just load up with weight. Striper that hit the spoon either pick it up on the drop, swat at it to shock it to swirl back on it, or slam it. I've not seen, nor have I heard of, them doing anything but those three.

So, if you're cranking and you feel the rod just start to load up, STOP. Don't turn another crank. Open up the bail and let about 10 ft of line out. Then you have two choices that I've observed. One is a smaller motion, just designed to tighten the line enough just to get the spoon to raise and fall back down. If you're lightly hooked this will likely work for you. Do this a couple times and you should feel the weight of the spoon return. When it does start cranking again, being mindful that you may encounter another branch, or you may just draw the attention of a fish. I had this happen numerous times last year where a snag would quickly be followed with a hookup.

The other option is to channel your best Harry Potter and work the rod tip all around, after having give then 10 feet or so of line, and is better for hooks that are really buried. You're trying to wallow out the hole where the hook entered the dead limb. Again, you'll eventually feel the weight return and be able to crank again.

The last is to retrace your steps and go on the backside of your snag relative to the motion of your boat, and mainly happens on windy days or snags while you were moving. You've dropped into a tree and your boat motion has taken it past the tree. Work "up-current" of your snag and try the techniques above.

If none of these works it's time to grip it and rip it. Sometimes you'll get it back, sometimes you won't. Sometimes you'll get a limb, or the rod, you snagged with it.

I'll see if I can find a video of me freeing myself from a snag to post soon to illustrate this better. The guests I've had out have all taken to it like ducks on water once I've shown them how.

I hope this helps you guys, and if you have questions like that, applicable to the technique that others probably have, please don't hesitate to ask.

StriperrHunterr

Another key that is important to mention here, is drag settings. You want your drag set just short of the breaking strain of the line. In the cases where a snag results in a hookup the striper knows two things, A), that it can get free by breaking you off, and B) right where the tree it just left is.

You need to be able to put the brakes on them when they hit or you're going to lose a lot of fish to the trees, and a lot of spoons. This is the main reason I use 20lb big game line, and heavier gear. You can get away with bass gear, for the most part, but when that 17-20 comes along, hitting 3 feet off of the tree, you need to be able to turn her, and quick.

StriperrHunterr

Lighter drag, jigging rod, 40lb braid. no leader. Seems to work for me.

That 40lb, but in power pro, is what I had problems with on downlining and this. Any drag light enough to keep from spool locking was too light to get a good hook up, and anything tight enough to hook up buried itself in the spool.

I'm glad you've got it to work for you, I imagine that braid is a good way to straighten out a split ring if you bury the hook to the point of not being otherwise recoverable.

StriperrHunterr

Quick post, you guys know the drill. Deep water, warm weather, 91 degrees above the thermocline.

I put my guest on a 10+ last night, maybe he'll post his picture as I don't have it.

I got a 25, verified on the AccuCull, and 2 5's that take me to 207.75.

I hadn't considered leaving some in the holder as an attractant, thanks for that tip, Bill, I'll be giving that a shot tonight to see what I can do with it.

Attachments

• 14064237_10154386194820070_6043790100423400163_n.jpg
    14064237_10154386194820070_6043790100423400163_n.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 737
  • 14040080_10154386356560070_7784721064134065659_n.jpg
    14040080_10154386356560070_7784721064134065659_n.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 730
  • 2nd Stripermod.jpg
    2nd Stripermod.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 733

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It was an outstanding night and it looks like your luck has changed for the better. 300 lbs here he comes!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Dang, you'll let anybody on your boat!!! LOL You did make sure that the gentleman in the green shirt didn't have any outstanding warrants before boarding didn't you?

StriperrHunterr

Dang, you'll let anybody on your boat!!! LOL You did make sure that the gentleman in the green shirt didn't have any outstanding warrants before boarding didn't you?

He just had to promise to keep all of his clothes on.

And yeah, I pretty much, will let anyone on, so if you're up this way give me a shout.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

He was slummin' last night.:bounce:

StriperrHunterr

Out again last night with a previous guest. Got about 45 minutes before the storms started encroaching so we pulled off and had to wait it out because either we had to prep the boat for storage in the rain, or wait in the dry truck to see if we got a dry window with enough time to fish.

Well, the latter happened and we lost an hour to the rain but had about another hour afterwards before we lost the light.

I managed a 15 that I would have guessed was a 9, and managed to throw my accucull overboard as I was releasing. Don't ask me how, I have no idea how it happened, but I do know that they need to build those with internal flotation.

I'll be heading up to OBT this afternoon to pick up another one as I have another trip tomorrow and my estimation skills are obviously erring on the side of caution. We didn't get a still picture of it, and my guest was running his GoPro since I didn't want to record over my fight with the 25 the night prior, so I'm waiting on him to get a still of that fish to me.

Tally stands at 222.75, with another trip at least tomorrow. Hopefully we can find them as they've been more scattered, or at least in different areas, for the morning bite than they are in the afternoon. If someone knows of good areas (like steep ledges by the river channel) that they could point me to for the morning bite that would be appreciated. I'm not looking for GPS coords, but if you're going to be out and want another boat to help keep the schools alive, let me know that, too, please.

Unless this week is a sign that quality and quantity are going way up at the end of the season, which I was expecting it to based on last year, but unless it stays that way I'm starting to have doubts that I'll hit my numerical goal.

ProAngler

That 40lb, but in power pro, is what I had problems with on downlining and this. Any drag light enough to keep from spool locking was too light to get a good hook up, and anything tight enough to hook up buried itself in the spool.

I'm glad you've got it to work for you, I imagine that braid is a good way to straighten out a split ring if you bury the hook to the point of not being otherwise recoverable.

When using a braid set up just make sure you spool in on really tight and you won't have that problem. If
You have the line burning into the spool you should respool them under more tension. And I on not talking pinching the line with your fingers. Takes a lot more than that.