Ossabaw hog hunt

Put in as a group, my friend had 5 points and we didn’t get drawn. He’s up to 6 and I’m up to 8 now. Maybe next year.

Did one of your group not have enough? They go by the lowest. We drew it with 4 points
No, only 2 of us in the party. He had 5 and I had 7. I may have put the 1st hunt as my 1st choice. Didn’t really have a preference though, I would’ve gladly taken either one.

I wish you could loan points or something on a group application that way we could wager 6 points.

Redman54

My group was drawn for the 1st hunt in Jan. It took 6 points this time around. We have gotten this same hunt twice with 4 points. Inflation is everywhere......

oldfatbubba

My group was drawn for the 1st hunt in Jan. It took 6 points this time around. We have gotten this same hunt twice with 4 points. Inflation is everywhere......

You're not kidding about inflation! DNR's records show that it took *at least* 6 points to guarantee a spot for the 1st hunt. The DNR's data doesn't show how many wagered >6 points to get a spot, but I'm guessing it was more than 1.

2022 Ossabaw Hunt odds.

Rattlecrap

I also was drawn for the firearms hog hunt for Jan 19-21. My first time, I sure wish they had more info on the hunt posted. Pretty sure it will just be me. I will be coming in on Thursday morning, have to work. Hope there is still a campsite available.

Redman54

I also was drawn for the firearms hog hunt for Jan 19-21. My first time, I sure wish they had more info on the hunt posted. Pretty sure it will just be me. I will be coming in on Thursday morning, have to work. Hope there is still a campsite available.
There should be plenty of campsites available, but if not, you can find me and my crew and set up at ours. We will be next to the field about halfway from the dock to the check station( at least that's the plan, same one we have had every hunt).

Rattlecrap

There should be plenty of campsites available, but if not, you can find me and my crew and set up at ours. We will be next to the field about halfway from the dock to the check station( at least that's the plan, same one we have had every hunt).
Thanks Redman, I just might take you up on that. I can't come in until Thursday so I will be a little behind the 8 ball, I hear its first come first serve on the hunting spots. I am a little confused on what to bring. Should I bring a hoist and gamble? I assume a large cooler? If I harvest a pig Thursday evening can I get ice from somewhere for the following 2 days while I am still there? I heard you can take 2 pigs is that correct? Any help would be very appreciated.

Is there a link anywhere to the rules? Hog limit numbers, hunting zones, times, e-mikes/bikes allowed, firearm restrictions, ect ect? I have 6 or 7 points and I was considering putting in for the first hog hunt next year.

Redman54

Thanks Redman, I just might take you up on that. I can't come in until Thursday so I will be a little behind the 8 ball, I hear its first come first serve on the hunting spots. I am a little confused on what to bring. Should I bring a hoist and gamble? I assume a large cooler? If I harvest a pig Thursday evening can I get ice from somewhere for the following 2 days while I am still there? I heard you can take 2 pigs is that correct? Any help would be very appreciated.
There is not a limit on the number of hogs you can kill. They want you to kill every hog you see. Depending on the number of hunters, you can only hang 2 hogs in the walk in cooler.

You don't need a hoist or gamble, they have 4 skinning racks. If you want it, you have to bring it with you, that includes ice, toilet paper etc. The hunting spots are first come first serve. The DNR will drop you at your hunting spot and pick you up, except for the walk in areas.

If you plan on dragging a hog out, I would suggest some type of drag sled. We have always cleaned them where they fall, pack the meat in a backpack, and go kill another. The only ones that come out whole are the ones that will fit on my smoker, and I carry them out like a suitcase. I usually only bring out one or two that way, the rest are deboned and packed out.

Rattlecrap

There is not a limit on the number of hogs you can kill. They want you to kill every hog you see. Depending on the number of hunters, you can only hang 2 hogs in the walk in cooler.

You don't need a hoist or gamble, they have 4 skinning racks. If you want it, you have to bring it with you, that includes ice, toilet paper etc. The hunting spots are first come first serve. The DNR will drop you at your hunting spot and pick you up, except for the walk in areas.

If you plan on dragging a hog out, I would suggest some type of drag sled. We have always cleaned them where they fall, pack the meat in a backpack, and go kill another. The only ones that come out whole are the ones that will fit on my smoker, and I carry them out like a suitcase. I usually only bring out one or two that way, the rest are deboned and packed out.
Well that's the most info I have gotten in weeks, I appreciate that.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Looks like y’all are gonna have some great weather

4point7

we will be down for the second hunt. Do yall know how it goes down after you get a hog? I'm a newer hunter and got my first deer this year and learned the whole dragging out/gutting experience the hardest way possible. So im trying to be completely prepared for this hunt. when they come to pick you up is the hog supposed to be gutted and ready to hang in the freezer or can you bring the whole hog back with you closer to camp? I'm hoping one of you guys or someone there maybe could guide me through the whole gutting/field dressing process. Youtube videos could only go so far to help me do my deer...I ended up with a stomach content/crappy mess o_O

rocidlik

we will be down for the second hunt. Do yall know how it goes down after you get a hog? I'm a newer hunter and got my first deer this year and learned the whole dragging out/gutting experience the hardest way possible. So im trying to be completely prepared for this hunt. when they come to pick you up is the hog supposed to be gutted and ready to hang in the freezer or can you bring the whole hog back with you closer to camp? I'm hoping one of you guys or someone there maybe could guide me through the whole gutting/field dressing process. Youtube videos could only go so far to help me do my deer...I ended up with a stomach content/crappy mess o_O
I do not know if the hog will need to be field dressed prior to being picked up. It will probably be something they will cover in the pre hunt meeting. I will be down there for the second hunt as well. PM me and I will give you my cell phone number. I would be happy to help you field dress the hog and quarter it out to take home.