Outdoor Spigot removal replacement question

basshappy

BANNED
Finally getting to some lower on the list items and I have an outdoors spigot that I want to replace. The handle was cut off because the screw head was stripped. Check out the pics. With a pipe wrench I can turn the round brass/copper (?) spi does (?) right tight and lefty loose.

First question is can what is left be removed without cutting pipe and welding? If so, how might this be approached?

Second question is any recommendations on a replacement setup provided this old one can be extricated?

20230927_101702.jpg

20230927_101553.jpg

20230927_101624.jpg

20230927_101547.jpg

Jim Baker

Staff member
you should be able to remove the stem and replace it. that is if you can match it to the body.
There are dozens of different designs and manufactures. Going to take a trip to a good plumbing supply house with picture and parts in hand.

Or just call a good plumber.

In any case do not try to turn that hose bib off the supply pipe. You could end up with a disaster.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I will look into this. Never soldered before. Might be time to try. Lol
No soldering needed... get one with a "gator bite" end. Hardest part will be crawling in there to it to cut the pipe. Main thing is using this method is to glue / caulk the hose bib to the foundation so it can't be twisted.

Oldstick

you should be able to remove the stem and replace it. that is if you can match it to the body.
There are dozens of different designs and manufactures. Going to take a trip to a good plumbing supply house with picture and parts in hand.

Or just call a good plumber.

In any case do not try to turn that hose bib off the supply pipe. You could end up with a disaster.
Agree. It looks to me like someone busted off the handle turning it too hard as opposed to cutting it off. You should be able to take the rest off by turning that very top nut in the picture while holding the pipe steady with another big wrench or channel lock type pliers. Take that into any hardware or plumbing store. Even if you have to buy the whole matching faucet assembly you will save by taking the exact same guts and handle out of the new one and screwing it right down into your existing one. Done with no soldering.

Last edited:

B. White

Just replaced one here. Pipe had enough give to pull it out just enough to get a crescent wrench on the back to keep from twisting the line. It had been there a long, long time and took quite a bit of force to unscrew it, but it came off eventually.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
No soldering needed... get one with a "gator bite" end. Hardest part will be crawling in there to it to cut the pipe. Main thing is using this method is to glue / caulk the hose bib to the foundation so it can't be twisted.
Thanks.I was having a moment and couldn,t remember the name.

LTZ25

I will look into this. Never soldered before. Might be time to try. Lol
If anyone lights a soldering torch on that nipple that is so close to the wall use extreme caution due to an updraft could pull flame inside the area behind it and you may not notice until it's to late . Just go buy a faucet exactly like the one that broke and carefully use two wrenches to take them apart and replace the broke part .
It's a Nibco you can find it anywhere .

Last edited:

LTZ25

I mentioned the warning because I saw a plumber burn a giant apt building down by soldering a replacement bathtub faucet , it was in about 1975 in college park ga. , nobody ever knew what started the fire , no it wasn't me .

Waddams

I'd consider turning off the water to the spigot (I'd cut off the house water if I had to so I knew it was off), then remove the spigot and pipe into the interior of the house if I could get to it. Then new spigot and copper run to a clean cut location accessed inside the home. Either solder or a compression union to make the tie in, with a cut off valve added inside for good measure. No such thing as too many valves.

When had our house remodeled and all the polyb pipe replaced, I insisted on valves everywhere and none behind dry wall so I could easily access them all if needed.

Oldstick

I certainly wouldn't consider doing that just to fix a broken valve stem on one exterior metal hose bib with obviously a metal feed pipe and zero leaks inside or outside as reported in the OP.

But I certainly would shut off the water main to the house first. Angie had warned me about that or she would video me for one of her commercials.

Last edited: