+p .38 special in S&W Revolvers

redlevel

There was some discussion about this in another thread. One poster opined that +p in another members Model 10-5 was more than the gun "could possibly withstand."

I alluded to a 1000 +p round test of a S&W Model 12, an alloy framed K-frame. Here is a copy/paste of the results and a link to the entire thread. It is a very educational thread, running about five pages.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1961-1980/79395-p-through-model-12-test-done.html

Well, it’s done. I’ve successfully fired 1,022 rounds of +P .38 special through my M12-2 without blowing it, or me, up. In fact, it has been my experience that shooting +P through an M12 is more detrimental to the shooter then the M12. The test took a little over six months and required nine shooting sessions. Nine different types of +P ammo were used. Here’s a summary of cumulative round count by ammo type.

All rounds are +P unless otherwise noted:

Winchester 110 gr JHP – 35
Federal 125 gr Nyclad HP – 36
Georgia Arms 158 gr LSWCHP – 101
Winchester 125 gr JHP – 200
Remington/UMC 125 gr JHP – 200
Speer/Lawman 158 gr TMJ – 300
Speer LE 135 gr GDHP – 50
CCI Blazer 125 gr TMJ – 50
Federal Classic 125 gr JHP – 50
--------------------------------------------------
Total = 1022

For more details, check out The Log on page 1, second entry.

Also, I was asked after the 72nd round to “mike” the frame window and measure the B/C gap. Here’s the measurements from 1 SEP 07:

Horizontal (TOP): 1.818”
Horizontal (BOT): 1.818” (one side measured .001-.002” less)
Vertical (F): 1.477”
Vertical (B): 1.477” (one side measured .001” less)
B/C gap: 0.007” (I could get the .008” feeler in if I pressed the cylinder back).

And here are the measurements 950 +P rounds later.

Horizontal (TOP): 1.817”
Horizontal (BOT): 1.817”
Vertical (F): 1.479”
Vertical (B): 1.478”
B/C gap: Same as before, 0.007” (I could get the .008” feeler in if I pressed the cylinder back).

While this test can be considered a “success,” I want you all to know that in the future, my model 12s will NOT be firing +P ammo. While I’m confident the M12s can handle it, the only reason I would want to use +P ammo is in a self defense gun. My current armory has plenty of factory-blessed +P rated revolvers that I would rather carry then any of my cherished M12s.

There you go….enjoy!!!!

Regarding S&W's recommendations: Twenty-five-ought-six quoted the post in the S&W forum stating that only guns manufactured after 1996 were Ok for +p according to an email response. I have long heard, and think I could find a chart put out by S&W some years back, that S&W said any Model-numbered gun, that is, guns manufactured after 1957, was OK with +p. Here is a quote from another post in the same thread:

"Smith and Wesson .38 Special firearms identifiable by a model number (for example, "Model 36")which is stamped in the cylinder yoke cut, are designed to fire all brands of commercially manufactured .38 Special cartridges, including those which carry the +P designation. However,the service life of any aluminum alloy frame revolver, even one manufactured to Smith and Wesson's quality standards, may be adversely affected by frequent use of +P cartridges. Accordingly, Smith and Wesson does not recommend +P cartridges be used in such guns."

Also please note, the +P designation was adopted in early '74.

Good luck with the test!

I have fired about 400 rounds of the Speer Lawman TMJ 158 grain +p, mostly in a Ruger .38 special, and probably 150 rounds in a S&W Model 36. It recoils much like a squib load in the heavy Ruger, and it isn't unpleasant at all in the Chiefs Special. I would not want to fire much of it in the 442-2 I just bought my daughter. I think it would be rather unpleasant in the airweight. I guess I have fired at least another 300 rounds of various +p ammo in the Model 36 over the years (Remington Golden Sabre, PMC Starfire, etc.),and the gun is none the worse for wear. None of the +p rounds in the little gun were unpleasant, except the Super Vels I fired in it in 1973, just after I bought the gun. (I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but I don't particularly like it, either. I don't like to shoot my Model 19 with full house .357 loads.)

I still have a few boxes and pieces of boxes of various +p around. When I shoot it up, I won't be buying any more of it, mainly because I don't want to pay 75 cents to a dollar each for gimmick ammo. I don't really subscribe to the light bullet/high velocity theory in handgun ammo, especially when we are talking about 950-1000 fps max as "high" velocity. I have shot enough feral dogs, armadillos, feral cats, and even finished off enough deer to realize that a 148 grain wc at 950 fps from a 4" barrel is at least as good as and probably better than a 125 grain jacketed hp at the same velocity that probably will not expand anyhow. That load, by the way, is from the Speer #9 Manual, published in 1974. Using Unique powder, I started about .5 grains below the published maximum and went to within .1 grain of the maximum, without any signs of high pressure in any of my .38s. I load my practice/target loads with 2.9 grains of Bullseye, an old standard for .38 special. I differentiate between the two loads by crimping the target load flush with the case mouth, and crimping the "field" load in the crimping groove, leaving a little of the bullet extended from the case.

I still say that fishinjunkie can shoot +p in his fine Model 10-5 'till the cows come home without suffering any more than normal wear. If a steel framed K-frame won't stand up to nearly unlimited amounts of 125/950 ammo, then there just ain't much to it.

drsmile

+p

Maybe I am ignorant about +P loads, but I was under the impression that it is possible for all the powder not to be fully expended by the time the bullet exits the muzzle. If this is remotely true, and you get more flash, and only minor increases in energy, whats the point of +P loads? I load up .38 for my 10-5's and Det. Spc. and have never loaded up a +P load for these reasons. Am I wrong? Someone educate me.

With pistols and pistol powders, the powder is consumed by the time the bullet enters the bore. The reason for higher velocity in longer barrels is due to residual pressure behind the bullet continuing to accelerate the bullet.
Muzzle flash is the result of uncombined oxidizer meeting atmospheric oxygen.
+P loads can actually be slower than some non- +P given the difference in the pressure curve. LongShot, ACC#5, BlueDot, H4227, Power Pistol can give non +P performance at non-+P pressures.

I answered a similar question with this same response.
Yes you CAN shoot +P’s in a # model S&W (ie: Model10, Model14, model15), but you shouldn’t. New parts for older S&W’s are no longer being made. Parts are increasingly hard to source and EXPENSIVE. Excessive wear is insidious and creeps up on you. First is a loss of accuracy due to loosening up. Then it starts shaving lead due to sloppy lock up and timing. Then usually followed by a cracked forcing cone.
I’ve found it easier/cheaper to buy cut up guns on eBay or gunbroker than sourcing from used parts dealers. A parted out S&W is worth more for parts than as a shooting specimen… I’ve got several old “boat anchors” I can source for parts.
If you NEED to shoot +P’s, get a new Taurus. They can be had for less than a “boat anchor” S&W…