Paces Ferry and Cochran Shoals

Concrete Pete

Has any fished this section of the Chattahoochee?

I’m just curious as to what species live here and how feasible it is to wade these spots.

I've fished Paces Ferry and Whitewater a few times, without any luck (probably due to my lack of skill and familiarity of the river). Wading is highly dependent on water levels and can be dicey. This section used to be Delayed Harvest for trout but I don't think they stocked any this past year. Supposedly there are shoal bass in this section of the river and I'd like to give it another try.

Concrete Pete

I've fished Paces Ferry and Whitewater a few times, without any luck (probably due to my lack of skill and familiarity of the river). Wading is highly dependent on water levels and can be dicey. This section used to be Delayed Harvest for trout but I don't think they stocked any this past year. Supposedly there are shoal bass in this section of the river and I'd like to give it another try.

I was informed that they won’t have this spot on DH this year. That wasn’t from an official source however.

Thanks for your input.

Djangofly

I used to fish Paces when they did the DH, and I didn't love it even then. A week or two of good fishing, that would get absolutely hammered, then flatline for months. I think the main issue there is it is really marginal trout water, and has been silted in over the years.

I prefer Jones Bridge and Island Ford. Island Ford has a ton of wadable water, so you can usually fish there and have large sections of water to yourself. As I do everywhere else, the key is to cover ground, at least that is what works for me.

I have heard there are shoal bass at Paces, but never connected with one. I usually head further downriver for bass to Sweetwater Creek State Park off I-20 until I ran into a few too many copperheads one day.

huntfish

Has any fished this section of the Chattahoochee?

I’m just curious as to what species live here and how feasible it is to wade these spots.

To answer your question, there is a very good run of stripers up there and they get stacked up against Morgan Falls.

Concrete Pete

To answer your question, there is a very good run of stripers up there and they get stacked up against Morgan Falls.
Thanks.
Do you know about when they head back to the lake?

gunnurse

I got stuck out in the river during a river rise. It started out below my knees, but by the time I made it back to shore it was above my waist. Shame on me for not being more observant.

Latest posts