Ocmulgee Kayaking

Ytka

I had a kayak (Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120) years ago when I was stationed in California. I put many a mile in fishing the Pacific and some of the lakes. One thing that I never did was river fishing. Lately, I’ve gotten the bug to kayak fish the Ocmulgee. I’d be putting in at 96, Cochran, or Hawkinsville. How feasible is that? My main concern is whether kayaking upriver is really feasible. I’m not up to speed on the kayaks that are popular these days for that kind of kayaking. I’m guessing something that traded stability for less resistance would be the best option. Any suggestions?

weagle

I don't fish that area of the Ocmulgee, but I do fish the Hooch just north of Atlanta and it's probably similar as far as flow speed. I normally fish alone, ,so I put in and take out at the same spot. I can paddle upstream far enough to fish back down, but I found using a small trolling motor is the key to getting in more fishing time and getting further up stream.

I use a Pelican Catch 110 with a light weight, Water Snake trolling motor and lithium ion battery: Here's a video of my set-up

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dhardy87

I had a kayak (Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120) years ago when I was stationed in California. I put many a mile in fishing the Pacific and some of the lakes. One thing that I never did was river fishing. Lately, I’ve gotten the bug to kayak fish the Ocmulgee. I’d be putting in at 96, Cochran, or Hawkinsville. How feasible is that? My main concern is whether kayaking upriver is really feasible. I’m not up to speed on the kayaks that are popular these days for that kind of kayaking. I’m guessing something that traded stability for less resistance would be the best option. Any suggestions?
I don't have any kayak suggestions but I have kayak fished the Ocmulgee. I fish in Dodge and go from Sand Hammock to the Dodge Co landing. If you fish a lot it could be an 8 hour float. I've went up river some but it is a pretty good workout. I have a Hobie outback peddle drive. It sure is a good time. Of course river miles is a whole lot longer than road miles. Best of luck.

Worlldbeater

I don't fish that area of the Ocmulgee, but I do fish the Hooch just north of Atlanta and it's probably similar as far as flow speed. I normally fish alone, ,so I put in and take out at the same spot. I can paddle upstream far enough to fish back down, but I found using a small trolling motor is the key to getting in more fishing time and getting further up stream.

I use a Pelican Catch 110 with a light weight, Water Snake trolling motor and lithium ion battery: Here's a video of my set-up

This^^ With a good trolling motor you can go a long way up river. Good luck with your fishing on the river. Watch out for wasps in the willows.

Ytka

I bought a Hobie Outback 12 tonight. I’m going to see what the river does this weekend and either try it or make a run to the coast.

AllTerrainAngler

Go for the coast. The landing off 96 is pretty dangerous. The current is nasty and there’s a lot of blowdowns and such. Make the drive over to ocmulgee PFA or fish echoconee creek.

Rholt

I am interested in kayaking this stretch of the river as well. Does anyone think a 12 to 14 ft kayak with a 55lb thrust trolling motor would be plenty to go upriver on this stretch?

ChiefOsceola

I never used my yak on the Ocmulgee, but used my Old Town Guide 147 canoe several times, putting in at Abbeville, Jacksonville bridge, & Barrs Bluff landings. You can certainly paddle against the current most of the time, but right now, with the way the river is rising, you'd be wore slap out.