Past Few Nights

ryork

A friend of mine reached out and asked if I wanted some quail he had frozen from a hunt in Alabama, I said sure. Now I have to say these things are quite plump compared to most quail I've had in my life. I thawed out four of them a couple nights ago. First off, I did a stuffed bird with garlic mashed taters, roasted brussel sprouts and a redeye gravy sauce. The stuffing is cornbread, Andouille sausage, garlic, tarragon, thyme, onion and a little chicken stock. That sauce was a take off on redeye gravy with country ham, strong coffee, garlic, a little w'shire, onion and a bit of chicken stock all boiled down and then thickened with a cornstarch slurry.

I smoked a couple of the birds. Tonight, I made a smoked quail hash11-19 (1).jpg11-19 (2).jpg11-19 (3).jpg11-19 (4).jpg11-19 (9).jpg11-19 (5).jpg11-19 (6).jpg11-19 (7).jpg with those by combining Andouille, potatoes, onion, red bell pepper, celery, garlic, thyme, creole seasoning, a little w'shire, a little Crystal and some chicken stock. This stuff was GOOD!

In between the two above, did some hamburger steak with onions, peppers, shrooms and French fries, but forgot to get any plated pics....

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
A friend of mine reached out and asked if I wanted some quail he had frozen from a hunt in Alabama, I said sure. Now I have to say these things are quite plump compared to most quail I've had in my life. I thawed out four of them a couple nights ago. First off, I did a stuffed bird with garlic mashed taters, roasted brussel sprouts and a redeye gravy sauce. The stuffing is cornbread, Andouille sausage, garlic, tarragon, thyme, onion and a little chicken stock. That sauce was a take off on redeye gravy with country ham, strong coffee, garlic, a little w'shire, onion and a bit of chicken stock all boiled down and then thickened with a cornstarch slurry.

I smoked a couple of the birds. Tonight, I made a smoked quail hashView attachment 992011View attachment 992012View attachment 992013View attachment 992014View attachment 992015View attachment 992016View attachment 992017View attachment 992018 with those by combining Andouille, potatoes, onion, red bell pepper, celery, garlic, thyme, creole seasoning, a little w'shire, a little Crystal and some chicken stock. This stuff was GOOD!

In between the two above, did some hamburger steak with onions, peppers, shrooms and French fries, but forgot to get any plated pics....

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
WOW. Just wow! All of that looks amazing!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Dadgum! I shouldn't have looked at that at 11:26 am!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Off the chain....as usual. I gained 5 pounds just look'n at the pix.

The boy can flat rick some groceries. I don't know how he does it. Some people just have the touch. I bet he doesn't even use recipes. Just grabs some stuff out of the fridge and the pantry and the next thing you know there's a gastronomical masterpiece.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
The boy can flat rick some groceries. I don't know how he does it. Some people just have the touch. I bet he doesn't even use recipes. Just grabs some stuff out of the fridge and the pantry and the next thing you know there's a gastronomical masterpiece.

Not sure what he does for a living, but if he ain't cooking, it's a lost talent.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That looks ..... well, I don't have any words. Just gimme some of it.

ryork

Thanks!! No, don't use a lot of "recipes", I do glean some ideas from some though. I think sometimes folks get way too caught up in "recipes" and technique is more important. And that quail hash was a little bit of thrown together deal. I thawed some out and then due to various reasons didn't cook them when I intended. I threw them on the Akorn just to get them cooked. The hash was the next night.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Ryork be smoking the weed, and thinks "Hey, I'm cooking up sumpin "

stringmusic

I don’t know half them ingredients but man you can cook up some good looking stuff!!

Always seem to have the Cajun\creole flavor going on which is my favorite!

ryork

Not sure what he does for a living, but if he ain't cooking, it's a lost talent.

I'm actually a geologist by trade, licensed in GA and surrounding states. I've owned a consulting business for the past 13 yrs or so doing soil and groundwater related stuff. After my health scare earlier this year I've for all intents and purposes done away with it except for what I want to do and can do by myself, and with who I want to do it for. I phased it out and helped my folks find jobs elsewhere, they were my second family and we're still very close. Luckily with the economy the way it is, that didn't take long and they're great folks and were in demand. Sold my house, downsized significantly, and without all that monthly payroll of the former business and all of our former "Stuff", I'm much happier and enjoying every day again. I don't think I would want to own a conventional restaurant, there's so much more involved there than just cooking. I am looking into doing something new that does involve food, but is out of the box somewhat. Still in the very early planning stages, we shall see..... not getting overwhelmed again, not worth it.

I do appreciate the comments!

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I'm actually a geologist by trade, licensed in GA and surrounding states. I've owned a consulting business for the past 13 yrs or so doing soil and groundwater related stuff. After my health scare earlier this year I've for all intents and purposes done away with it except for what I want to do and can do by myself, and with who I want to do it for. I phased it out and helped my folks find jobs elsewhere, they were my second family and we're still very close. Luckily with the economy the way it is, that didn't take long and they're great folks and were in demand. Sold my house, downsized significantly, and without all that monthly payroll of the former business and all of our former "Stuff", I'm much happier and enjoying every day again. I don't think I would want to own a conventional restaurant, there's so much more involved there than just cooking. I am looking into doing something new that does involve food, but is out of the box somewhat. Still in the very early planning stages, we shall see..... not getting overwhelmed again, not worth it.

I do appreciate the comments!

My dad was the Chief geologist/VP of Georgia Kaolin Co, he was the highest ranked geologist in the state at that time. But he couldn't cook worth a dang !!!