PCB Pier Pompano and Spanish

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Got to head down to PCB for a few days last week. I was really hoping to catch some of the Pompano run and we definitely made that happen. Christian and I fished the City pier only and I was surprised that we pretty much had the Pomp hole to our self most evenings. The evening was definitely the better bite due to having gin clear water in the mornings. The evening chop and shadows seem to turn the fish on. We stuck with lures only, but we did see one gentleman with set rods doing well.

We were throwing goofy jigs with my hand tied teaser fly on a loop knot. We tossed it on a 7' Medium Sixgill Halfling rod paired with a Sixgill 2000 series Dreadnought. Line was 10lb braid with a 15lb Fluorocarbon leader.

In addition the the very good pompano bite, there were some stud Spanish Macks in the mix. They were hitting the same goofy jig, but also caught a large number on a Gotcha Plug. I never made it out to the end for kings, but they were biting decent at times. I'm not leaving the better eating Pomps when they are biting!

Didn't get a ton of pictures, but here are a couple.

280404332_10104171079206098_6686423618150534851_n.jpg280373888_10104171079221068_1229330148133305936_n.jpg

bany

Nice catching! That is a stud Spanish!

Redbow

I agree Pompano are great eating fish people used to call them butterfish. Spanish are good fresh but I like them smoked best. Glad you fellers got a few.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Great way to spend a few hours at PCB!

campboy

@Dustin Pate Headed down there Friday. Might have to throw my rod and reel in the car now that I see your report. Was already thinking about throwing a gotcha plug from the surf. Thanks for the report