Pelican

rip18

My 80-200 had been having intermittent focusing problems, so I sent it back to Nikon for repair. They said they don't keep the parts to repair lenses that old. Based on the performance that I've seen from others, I invested in the new 80-400 (the old one was known to focus slowly).

I wanted to try it out on birds in flight in low light, so I headed to an area where I knew I'd have some evening seagulls to photograph. Turns out that I had pelicans to photograph as well.

As far as comparing the 80-200 f/2.8 to the new Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5 - 5.6d Ed VR AF-S, the f/2.8 lens acquires focus faster & is able to track moving objects better in AF mode (no surprise there, since it is f/2.8). But having that extra "reach" on a mid-size zoom and being able to cover 80 to 400 mm with one lens sure is handy. The bottom line for me is that the 80-400 is a great carry lens in good light (though it can produce on moving objects in low light as shown below - but not as reliably and repeatedly as the 80-200 f/2.8). I still want to replace the 80-200 mm f/2.8 for lower light shots - especially for my daughter's night-time soccer games...

Nikon D300s, Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5 - 5.6d Ed VR AF-S at 280 mm, f/6.3, 1/320th second, ISO 200, existing light right at sunset, handheld, slight crop.

Attachments

• 0922brpelicanwebcr3.jpg
    0922brpelicanwebcr3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 153

Lee Woodie

Well Rip I see you've still got the touch Great capture

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
very cool ! love the water droplets as well ! i have always wondered about that lens, especially after selling big momma. next time we cross paths you can try my sigma 70-200 2.8 if you want, it is by far my most shot lens. not the nikon, but not the nikon price either LOL

rip18

Thanks, y'all!

I'll sure take you up on shooting that lens, Feral One!

wvdawg

Staff member
Sweet!