People That Prepare Your Taxes

Redbow

You would think that someone who prepares income taxes for others would know their job but apparently some do not. We are using a different tax preparing service this year we were using H&R block but we found a lady who charges half what block charges. Yesterday when we went to pick up our tax forms she told us that NC does not tax Railroad Retirement income. For the past 10 years or so the block lady has cost us several hundred dollars each year out of our pockets by filing my RR retirement as being taxed by the state.

The new tax lady says she will file and amendment to try and get some of our money back from NC. We will see how that goes. If you are retired from the RR check and see if your state is one that doesn't tax RR retirement benefits. Yeah, I'm mad about this mistake as anyone well should be.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Yep, but maybe I could sue them for her mistakes.
Never used them but imagine you signed some paperwork preventing that.

Redbow

Never used them but imagine you signed some paperwork preventing that.
More than likely we did. We had a CPA do our taxes when we moved back to NC in 2002. The man was a crook took forever to get our taxes back. in 2004 after we got our taxes back from him he called us and said he needed to make some adjustments on our tax forms. I asked what kind of adjustments, he wouldn't say just he needed to check them out again. I asked was he going to charge us for the additional checking of our forms and he told me yes, about 50 bucks. I told the man we have already paid you, if you made a mistake with our taxes you should cover that and should not charge us any extra for doing so. He didn't agree.

Anyway we mailed the tax forms and never heard anything from the IRS about a glitch in the way the forms were filled out by the CPA. After we quit with him and went to block we got back twice as much from the state and the federal so he wasn't filling out our taxes right either.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
More than likely we did. We had a CPA do our taxes when we moved back to NC in 2002. The man was a crook took forever to get our taxes back. in 2004 after we got our taxes back from him he called us and said he needed to make some adjustments on our tax forms. I asked what kind of adjustments, he wouldn't say just he needed to check them out again. I asked was he going to charge us for the additional checking of our forms and he told me yes, about 50 bucks. I told the man we have already paid you, if you made a mistake with our taxes you should cover that and should not charge us any extra for doing so. He didn't agree.

Anyway we mailed the tax forms and never heard anything from the IRS about a glitch in the way the forms were filled out by the CPA. After we quit with him and went to block we got back twice as much from the state and the federal so he wasn't filling out our taxes right either.

People like you made my best clients because they had learned to appreciate the fact quality has a price. :bounce: :rockon:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Buy once, cry once. My CPA costs a little but she's one of my most favorite people in this world. A true professional who really is on my side. I look at that cost like a good investment.

Reactions: Dub

ucfireman

I started using HR Block about 3 years ago.
I did my own for years, then paid a CPA 200 do file for about 4-5 years (Farm and rental income) and then did my own again.
Then paid a lady 200 to do them about4-5 years ago. When she emailed me the return to sign and file it was on HR Block.
So since then I just file online using the HR Block site. My taxes are easy right now, but man filing is expensive. 55fed/45state.

Used to be just go to a library or post office ad get the forms, cant find them last time I looked.
Did find the tax do page online this year though.

sinclair1

We pay a CPA too much money, but it’s worth every penny. They must call Trumps CPA, because they can find way more than we can doing it ourselves.
My CPA

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You know this is true. Some of em even have to get a second job working as forum administrators to make ends meet.:ROFLMAO:

The pay sucks. I'm just here for the fringe benefits. :bounce:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I don’t begrudge our CPA, been a help several times.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I do my own for free in about half an hour on Turbotax, and have for many, many years. I got my refund back over a month ago. I've tried doing them myself and paying someone to do them, and they came up exactly the same. No thanks. It ain't rocket surgery if you don't own a business and have all kinds of weird stuff going on.

furtaker

I do my own for free in about half an hour on Turbotax, and have for many, many years. I got my refund back over a month ago. I've tried doing them myself and paying someone to do them, and they came up exactly the same. No thanks. It ain't rocket surgery if you don't own a business and have all kinds of weird stuff going on.
TurboTax still has a free edition? I thought you had to pay for it now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
TurboTax still has a free edition? I thought you had to pay for it now.
Nope. Not unless you itemize deductions and such.

B. White

I have used it for several years too, but when I became self employed I bought their small business version the first year to make sure I was claiming everything I could. The second year I went to a CPA and she found several things I can deduct that Turbotax said I could not. The CPA is really not that much more expensive. At this point, I am happy to pay someone to keep .gov from getting any extra penny.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
When you go to the “tax preparers” you’re basically letting seasonal help do your taxes.