Persimmons or white oaks

Bowhunter24

well here is my probablem, i have found some white oaks on a creek bottom, to my knowledge the only ones around. I also found a spot where there are 3 big persimmons and they are loaded with fruit. Where do i hunt opening morning. Im not so sure the oaks will be dropping on sept 10th, but i think the persimmons will be. Where were yall hunt

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
Man, you had better be sitting on them persimmons come opening morning. If you want to sit on the oaks, I will sit on the persimmons for you. ::ke:

Slasher

Robert Sowell said:
Man, you had better be sitting on them persimmons come opening morning. If you want to sit on the oaks, I will sit on the persimmons for you. ::ke:

Since theres three of those trees, we could each sit one, to make sure none of them get away... :cheers: I am here to help whenever I can be of assistance...

Just pm with directions...

Good luck on those simmons...

Auto-5 Nut

I think we hunt the same county, and here is my take on the situation: Hunt that fruit until it is gone!!! Morning or evening. If it is is on the edge of a field, then try to get down wind of them within bow range, they'll be eatin them persimmons while waiting on the peanuts to be turned over.

Hunt that creek during midday, the deer will feed there then due to the field having the common tractor in it during the day. When rut hits, if that peanut field is hid from a road or is near a road that is not traveled much, HUNT THAT FIELD. I can't tell you how many bucks in that county have been seen running does in fields during all hours of the day during the rut.

Try your best to find a funnel, if it is all woods this may be hard, but if you can find a funnel hunt it year around.

Hope this helps.

Arrow3

Both will draw deer like a moth to a flame when they're ripe....I say wait till a day or so before season to decide....Let the deer sign tell you where to hunt.....Another thing you can do is set up two different stands for different wind conditions...Hunt the better option....

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
I would also hunt the persimmons 1st. They will be gone before the oaks. I'm not sure when persimmons begin to drop, but i would guess it would be before the oaks.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Wherever the droppings are piled up would be the stand to hunt. If eitehr are ripe and dropping (likely both will not be at the same time) then be on it.

Jim

bull0ne

Banned
I would hunt the fruit....but only in the afternoon, if you go in there in the morning there's a good chance of pushing them out from under your stand.

RThomas

Hunt which ever ones drop first. Some persimmon trees wont drop until late. There are several on the property I hunt and some wont drop until October. Have a back up stand ready regardless of where you decide to hunt.
That being said, I would hunt the persimmons IF they are dropping by opening day.

Larry Rooks

Start with the persimmons, they usually start dropping earlier than the white oaks. I put a trail camera on some persimmon trees last year and they were hammering hard the first part of bow season, and up until they were gone too

Taylor Co.

Persimmons...

I dont know why but I always see more bucks than doe's on persimmons especially early. White oaks later, you'll be better off just to monitor when they start falling...them deer will gobble up the whiteoaks as soon as they start dropping. You got yourself a good problem to have!

GeauxLSU

Wish I had that problem, looks like every persimmon on my place is female. :banginghe
I'd always sit over soft mast when available over hard.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil