Squirrel season opening day expectations.

Is open day of squirrel season a big deal at all? Am I going to have to get to the WMA at 5:00am and play flash light tag like dove season? Will there be people selling biscuits on the side of the road? Does anyone care about squirrel season?

If I found some good spots where there were tons of squirrel signs (yerns, white oaks, nut shells all over the bottom of trees) last Winter are those going to be hot opening day? Are all the squirrels gonna have warbles?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
No.
No.
No.
Not much.

Maybe. But this early you'll probably just have to walk em up.

If a squirrel has wolves, it don't hurt the meat a bit. Just nasty looking. Eat em anyway.

Good luck!
This and good luck

As far as the heat goes I plan on being out of the forest by 11am or so. Gotta remember bug repellent. Gonna get checked for ticks when I get home too.

Big7

The Oracle
Hot hot and hot don't forget sweat. Its the kick off of 2023 and 2024 hunting season. Get after them. Theres a bumber crop of squirrels in my neck of the woods this year. Good luck.
Bumper crop digging up my fescue so they can eat the roots too.

I'm inside the city limits barely but I got a decent pellet rifle somewhere around here. Time to put out a little bird seed to fatten them up a little.
:bounce:

whitetailfreak

I wish more including myself shared your enthusiasm for early season squirrels. There's no better way to perfect your woodsmanship and marksmanship than spending time chasing squirrels with a .22 and It's a great time to begin scouting for Fall big game seasons. Good luck.

2dye4

Just come to my yard and you’ll have your limit in no time :ROFLMAO:. I plan on taking all of them out that I can. Making a mess eating green pine cones.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I hope to be able to start hunting squirrels by mid September. I’d like to get quite a few in the freezer to cook this winter for a dinner with friends.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Wolves are rare first couple weeks by my experience...

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
My daddy takes the opening day off every year, and I always come down for the following weekend to hunt with him.

Occasionally someone will already be at the spot I want, but I always have backups. You definitely won't get crowded out.