Pig #3 .........

sawtooth

pig #3 for 2014...
I got a phone call yesterday around lunch time, i guess. Allen Oliver called to check on me and somewhere during our conversation we decided to try and stick a pig later in the afternoon. At 5:15pm I was just about to finish wrapping bacon around my jalepeno cubesteak when some fella with a big ole mustache started knocking at my front door. We got caught up and killed a little time talking about bows and arrows and such until it was time to get in the woods. I was really wanting to check on the wheat field where i killed a tiny piggy last Saturday, if the wind would cooperate.
As soon as I put the truck in park we saw fresh rooting that wasn't there the day before, a great sign that pigs were around, somewhere. We were still a little early, so we decided to walk around a little, being careful to keep our wind out of the wheatfield and the bog to the north of it.
Allen came ready...... He had a bow quiver and a dawgware, filled to the max with broadheads. The first thing that got a broadhead was an armadillo, Allen drew back and blistered the vile creature with a Zwickey delta. His arrow broke, but we got the broadhead back. The world is minus 1 armadillo-- good.
By now, it's getting prime time. A thunderstorm is threatening to the Northeast of us and it's sending a strong, steady wind out of the East-perfect for what we want to do. I was trying to get us to the corner of the field downwind of everything so we could look and listen and glass the wheatfield. Allen heard a pig squeal right about the time we got in the corner, but i couldn't see anything in the field, yet. A doe walked out at 20 yards, looked at us and took off. Then we both saw black in the wheat at about the same time. Pigs! The situation was dang-near perfect. A great wind keeping mosquitoes off of us and carrying our scent far away from the hogs' snooters. Wind has fouled up more hog hunts for me than any other single aspect of it all... so a good solid wind is like money in the bank. I told Allen to get with it, and he crouched down and started toward the pigs, which was one big black sow and numerous offspring. As Allen closed to about thirty yards, the pigs changed direction and appeared to be leaving the field on the North end. Quickly realizing this, Allen backed out, and made a loop behind me and got into position to intercept the pig as she left the field. His plan worked to perfection as the sow got within range. I was hidden some 60 yards away. I never heard the bowstring, but i saw a yellow blur strike the pig followed by a distinct "thwack". I watched as the sow left the field in a hurry with Allen's arrow planted in her left shoulder. She left a substantial bloodtrail that we followed at a fast walk until it became scant and dried up completely. We think the shot got a little too much shoulder. We later found the arrow and confirmed that.
After Allen's pig left the field, there was still a group of thirty pounders trying to figure out what was happening. I closed in on them from the West, Allen was working toward them from the Southeast. I realized they were headed toward me and i quickly scooted twenty yards closer to where i thought they'd pass. All of a sudden there were pigs all around me- One little black boar stood too still for too long. At 12 yards I drew and released just that fast. I saw my arrow hit him squarely in the shoulder and i knew i had just pulled his ticket.. I focused on the rest of the group because I was going to thump another one. They were headed toward Allen at this point, And i thought he was going to get another shot, but evidently they realized that there was just too much bad stuff going on in the wheat. They hit 5th gear and never looked back.
We found my pig laying close by, then spent about an hour looking for Allen's sow before giving up on the trail. We loaded up, went back to my house, and i immediately fired up the grill. I busted the pig into quarters while our dinner cooked. When the pig was in the cooler i took the meat off the grill and we sat down to a meal of roasted corn, backstrap wrapped in bacon, and jalepeno cubesteak. (all of which was most delicious, by the way).
We shot bows and shot the bull after dinner for a little before finally calling it a night. I tell you what, It don't get much better than that. I hope ya'll enjoy that story. It really happened.

Big Jim Buffalo
Cedar arrow from Wapiti
Magnus II 125gr.

Attachments

• 053114 hog 007.jpg
    053114 hog 007.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 053114 hog 008.jpg
    053114 hog 008.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 053114 hog 001.jpg
    053114 hog 001.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 053114 hog 014.jpg
    053114 hog 014.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 053114 hog 016.jpg
    053114 hog 016.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

EJC

Your whackin Em' dude, I'm struggling in bartow but I've been goin hard, lookin for my first traditional kill. Congrats man

chenryiv

Way to stack 'em up Dendy!! congrats

Allen Oliver

Many thanks to Dendy for a large time yesterday. Dendy put the thwack on that piggy. I was watching it all go down about 60 yards away. When we headed back into the wheat field after the piggys I headed into the field about half way up and Dendy entered next to the woods. As soon as I got about 5 feet in the wheat I could see the pigs about 30 yards in front of me In a wad. Roughly I would say around 15 piggys. They started down the field toward Dendy and stopped just perfect. I watched Dendy raise his bow and then it was whack and squel. Those little piggys went by me going wee wee all the way home real fast might I say.

Clipper

You and that Buffalo know how to get it done! Loved the story and congratulations on #3.

Barry Duggan

Sack 'em up Dendy. Glad you got part of your arrow back Allen.:bounce:

dm/wolfskin

Way to get it done Dendy. Always tomorrow Allen. The wheat up here is about to be harvest when it dries out.

rapid fire

Nice. Hate Allen couldn't find his, but that's just the way it is sometimes. Next time get Allen to bring some of his smoked sausage for dinner. Good stuff.

Hey Dendy, that sounded like it was a blast. I know the pigs are bad news for the environment but I wish I had some to hunt here in Michigan. I enjoyed talking to you Sunday, thanks for telling me about this forum, I know I'll enjoy it. I hope you guys accept Yankee boys here ! :) Be sure and let us know when the Chinook gets pig blood on it:)

Al33

Another red hat kill Good job guys!!! Allen, hate you didn't find your pig but know you had an exciting hunt with Dendy. Go get a red hat man.:D

sawtooth

Hey Dendy, that sounded like it was a blast. I know the pigs are bad news for the environment but I wish I had some to hunt here in Michigan. I enjoyed talking to you Sunday, thanks for telling me about this forum, I know I'll enjoy it. I hope you guys accept Yankee boys here ! :) Be sure and let us know when the Chinook gets pig blood on it:)

Hey man! good to see you here. We've got several yankees already on here...... we like 'em alright, i guess. :rofl:
You are welcome here, there are no better folks around. Lookin' forward to getting my hands on that Chinook..