Pike County High School football player dies

Barfolomew

NBC article

A Georgia high school football player died due to injuries he suffered during a game, school officials said.

Dylan Thomas, a linebacker at Pike County High School, suffered a head injury during the game last Friday. Thomas, a junior, was hit in the second quarter of the game and later collapsed on the sidelines when an arm and leg went numb, his uncle, Nick Burgess, told the Associated Press.

----

Whelp, unless technology changes the helmets somehow, football is on the way out.

TinKnocker

I read something about this over the weekend. They rushed him in for emergency surgery to relieve pressure on the brain. Guess he didn’t make it. That’s sad for sure.

MCBUCK

Prayers for the family.

Twiggbuster

Medivaced to Grady I heard.
sounds like every effort was made.
So sad, so young.
Prayers for the family.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
According to the news this morning they are watching the video of the game to try and determine for sure what happened but haven't seen a "Hit" that should have caused this at this point. Prayers for the Family and his classmates. So sad !!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I wonder if it was a stroke or aneurism that just happened while he was playing football. Definitely a sad situation

TinKnocker

I wonder if it was a stroke or aneurism that just happened while he was playing football. Definitely a sad situation
Either that or really dehydrated. The more dehydrated you are the easier it is to sustain concussions (part of why weight cutting in MMA is such a terrible idea). If he was severely dehydrated it may not have taken a really big hit.