Planes are getting scary with all the close calls

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The 747 pilot did exactly what he was trained to do. Once he bounced he went around, trying to salvage the landing will just make things worse and could lead to an accident.

Dr. Strangelove

The 747 pilot did exactly what he was trained to do. Once he bounced he went around, trying to salvage the landing will just make things worse and could lead to an accident.
Yep. That's going to be one expensive inspection though. Last time I checked, COSTCO doesn't sell Boeing 747 tires.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yep. That's going to be one expensive inspection though. Last time I checked, COSTCO doesn't sell Boeing 747 tires.
Yep, just depends on how hard he hit, the data recorder will tell the story.

Oldstick

The highway is going to get dangerous
Exactly. I'm probably staying off the road at that point. There are probably thousands and thousands of unforeseen scenarios that can happen with highway vehicles that have to be recognized and action taken in time. And most of them involve the computers ability to "see" the hazard ahead of time with their video systems.

I think humans are much better at that kind of task. How could they even begin to think of every possible hazardous situation on the road in order to test the system out enough.

A driver has that built in survival/self preservation instinct running on full alert at all times, or least they are supposed to.

flynlow

Student at the Hard Knock School of Aerodynamics
I'm trying to understand the OP's message that an attempted, aborted landing is a close call somehow? A close call how? Sure it was ugly but as already pointed out, he or she, did what they were trained to do a go around and possibly resulted in some sort of action such as training and/or discipline depending on the data but this happens all the time you just don't see it every day in a 747.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I'm trying to understand the OP's message that an attempted, aborted landing is a close call somehow? A close call how? Sure it was ugly but as already pointed out, he or she, did what they were trained to do a go around and possibly resulted in some sort of action such as training and/or discipline depending on the data but this happens all the time you just don't see it every day in a 747.
Further, it could have been an FO landing and the Captain let it go to far. Regardless, there was no near miss in this. They did exactly what they were trained to do.

Oldstick

One thing jumped out at me in the article. 300 some odd passengers and the article called it a "training flight"?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
One thing jumped out at me in the article. 300 some odd passengers and the article called it a "training flight"?
Happens all the time. If it’s a new Captain they will ride around with an instructor for 25-50 hours getting line operation experience before turned loose. Never Know with the press spinning hyperbole to make a story.

earlthegoat2

The vid was pretty anticlimactic.

I thought there was going to be a near collision or something.

All I saw was a form of human error and then quick and decisive correction.

GeorgiaBob

I think @sinclair1 's point is that commercial heavies are not supposed to bounce. The giant Airbus airframes and their giggly wings are even less likely to handle the significant stresses of hard landings than the old Boeing 747s. Pilots are generally trained well enough to avoid gear breaking impact on landing but sometimes they do occur.

The Lufthansa 747 landing was likely the result of a right seater building experience and failing to timely correct when some turbulence or updraft took the plane off glideslope. There was nothing obviously wrong, from the camera angle, with the approach. Only the long drop after flair showed the position error.

In defense of the flight crew, none of the 747 series have the automated glideslope guidance equipment of newer aircraft. Boeing customers ALL passed on that upgrade because every major airline is retiring the 747. Whoever was at the controls had no choice, after they flaired and realized they were too high, but to power up, accept the bounce, and go around. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and flight crews train for that very situation.

Oldstick

One possibility was strong crosswinds to the runway at ground level. Whenever this is the case you are going to get a little rougher landing than calm conditions. This is because the pilots are forced to keep the nose a little pointed into the wind almost all the way to the ground in order to keep the plane centered over the runway. They used to call this the landing "crab" angle. Then at the last possible second, a few feet off the tarmac, cut the power and "de-crab" the nose simultaneously. Followed by the sudden drop onto the ground.

Could be a de-crab and drop happened a little higher up than normal?

Anyhow, they certainly laid some rubber on that one. Thankfully the tires and gear must have still been OK for the second attempt. :clap:

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
In defense of the flight crew, none of the 747 series have the automated glideslope guidance equipment of newer aircraft. Boeing customers ALL passed on that upgrade because every major airline is retiring the 747. Whoever was at the controls had no choice, after they flaired and realized they were too high, but to power up, accept the bounce, and go around. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and flight crews train for that very situation.
I have no idea where you got this. I have thousands of hours in a 747. Even the early models had glides slope data, they were also fully capable of auto landing and certified to the lowest visibility minimums. The later models added GPS nav capability, bringing more precise navigation. Yes the early models weren’t glass cockpits but they were very capable analog aircraft.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I have flown on many different carriers from many different countries including Air China, Air France, Lufthansa, BA, etc etc. I put Lufthansa up there with Delta.

This happened on a flight that I was on last year landing in West Palm in a 757. A lot more common than most would think.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have flown on many different carriers from many different countries including Air China, Air France, Lufthansa, BA, etc etc. I put Lufthansa up there with Delta.

This happened on a flight that I was on last year landing in West Palm in a 757. A lot more common than most would think.
Lufty is a top shelf airline. I flew freight for them under contract service Frankfurt to Dubai. Their folks that supported us were just outstanding.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Lufty is a top shelf airline. I flew freight for them under contract service Frankfurt to Dubai. Their folks that supported us were just outstanding.
Yes, top notch.

I dont fly like I used to back in the 90's and 2000's but had one a few years ago that raised the hair on my neck. On approach to Atlanta, the captain came on and said that we may have to divert to Chattanooga due to high winds. He came back on a few min later and said we had one shot and for flight attendants to take a seat and for us to tighten up.

I was looking out the window and could see the runway and I honestly thought the wings were going to tap the runway there was so much roll back and forth. Pulled out and headed to Chattanooga. Luckily was on an Airbus then and had internet below 10K so I pulled out the laptop and booked a car to drive back home. We landed and there were at least five 757's and several A320's on the ground in Chattanooga waiting for a gate. If you have ever flown in or out of there, there are like 4 gates. Had a guy offer me $500 bucks at the rental car checkout for my ride.

Kinda cool looking back on it but it was a little hairy there for a min.