Planted pines

sghoghunter

I have around 4 ac’s that I let grow up every yr so the deer feel safe from the nearby road. I’ve decided to burn it in the next week or so then get it planted in pines. Thought about planting long leaf just because they don’t grow real fast. One of the problems I have is there’s some volunteer pecan trees coming up all over that I can’t seem to kill. How would be the best way to kill them now before the trees get planted. The area in the red is what I’m wanting to plant

Attachments

• 4A7730C6-EE8D-4FC0-A21E-C73960FF8324.jpeg
    4A7730C6-EE8D-4FC0-A21E-C73960FF8324.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 27

arrendale8105

Cut the pecan trees and paint the stump with 24D or drill down angle holes in the trim I and pour the 24d in them. 24D=dead pecan tree

sghoghunter

Their about as big around as a quarter and maybe 8 ft tall. During the summer I went in and sprayed the leaves real good with a mixture of glysophate and 24d and it burned the real bad but didn’t kill them

Cwill15

Their about as big around as a quarter and maybe 8 ft tall. During the summer I went in and sprayed the leaves real good with a mixture of glysophate and 24d and it burned the real bad but didn’t kill them

Depending how many there are I would "hack and squirt" them.

jmock9

If you could wait a year, treat the area with chopper next September and then plant your longleafs. Will hammer everything for the first few months of the pines growing season and will keep the hardwoods at bay for several years. Two years later your early secessional habitat will be just like you want it. Hard to establish long leafs without chemcial pre plan control.