plowing help/advice

dixie

I have a little over two acres of "clear land" I'm trying to plow, I set the all purpose plows to go as deep as they can{about 10 inches} what I've run into is roots, miles and miles of them, go 10 feet and have to stop to clear the plows, should I use a bottom plow first?

Last edited:

billy336

Bottom plow will do you a lot of good, try to make shallower passes as well. Easier on you and the equipment, might take more time, but your end result will be better. Good luck in your pursuit.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dixie: If you have access to a subsoiler, it will do a good job of breaking up the roots. You will still pick them up in the all-purpose plow but many should pass between the shanks.

A bottom plow will do the job, but the roots will still be there to contend with.

A subsoiler is a good investment. You can circle the perimeter of a field with the subsoiler on an annual basis and virtually eliminate the root problem. This will help conserve moisture and nutrients if you can keep roots from invading the field.

I have plowed up Yellow Poplar roots which were growing 100 feet from the nearest Poplar tree. This illustrates the problem associated with roots.

By the way, if you haven't used a one toothed sub-soiler, it requires a minimum of a 40 horse tractor.

dixie

thanks Vernon, I'm using a 45 hp JD so it should do the job. This is a clear area but the soils never been worked before. I'd go about 10 feet and the plows were clogged with roots and being forced up out of the ground by all the roots, I've done a lot of plowing but I've never seen anything like this before.