Peace Of Mind, Tracking Dog

BassHunter25

This is the second season my dog has been tracking deer (he just turned 2)and after 3 tracks this weekend I have gained an enormous amount of confidence in his ability. In fact I’m gonna say I have the greatest dog ever, unbiased of course.
The first track which resulted in no deer found. Was after I missed a big buck with my muzzleloader, of course, after the shot, I could not see anything or know where the deer went. I brought the dog who consistently went the way the deer was not facing and kept going in circles about 50 to 75 yards and coming back, so after finding no blood or hair I gave up. The next day checking a trail camera the buck I missed was on camera 10 minutes after I shot in the direction my dog kept going completely fine and unwounded. And then back on camera again, where I missed him at the next night.
The second track, my 10 yr old nephew shot a deer in a clearcut. They couldn’t find any blood, but saw the deer donkey kick and plow on its way out of the clear cut, but went straight into a big cypress swamp with knee deep water. As soon as I got Moose there he went straight into the woods and in the water and started barking, and you could hear him chasing the buck around in circles in the water, we went running in and he was on the Bucks back as the buck swam around in circles finally giving up between some trees I called him off and we finished him off.
The third was for a neighbor that gut shot a big buck. It had been a little over an hour before we started and I knew we should probably give it longer after seeing the gut material. We went ahead anyway. 10 minutes in moose showed he founf the deer on the garmin gps tracker About 150 yards away. I told the Hunter to bring his gun and we went in. We got to the area where it showed the Deer and I saw him still alive looking at me. I motioned the Hunter to finish him off and click no bullets in the gun. The buck then got up and ran off reluctantly, after looking at the blood where he was laying and crashing when he left, it looked like he should be dead soon, but after another hour, the dog kept going for about 75 yards and coming back going forward about 75 yards and coming back. so we decided to come back in the morning. I met Hunter about 12 hours later in the morning and he had trailed the blood where we left last and lost the trail. The buck was headed towards the river. When moose started the track in the morning, he seemed to be on a beeline towards the river and came back in a big circle back behind us finding the old blood trail and then went on the same line again two different times but never marked anything. The third time he went it showed him cross the river and he marked the deer 500 yards away. So we went in and found the deer between a washed out creek and the river on an island up under a massive amount of over grown vines. This is my first time doing a difficult track like this with the dog and it was really exciting. the last track was close to 1000 yards.

It really gives me peace of mind having a good tracking dog to know we won’t have to leave any wounded animals in the woods.

HUGE GA BUCK Found by TRACKING DOG!!!

BassHunter25

Glad your dog is performing well, but sounds like to me the shooters need to practice some shot placement.
It wasn’t me. But I had a clean miss at 75 yards the day before and don’t know why. I guess I’m blaming it on the muzzleloader.
I’m sure the hunter wasn’t aiming for gut. I know some people out there are perfect but haven’t met any of them in person. Only on the internet.

I’m sitting in the stand . Watch 4 Mexicans no orange get in a stand designed for 4 people….

Kev

Nope private. They was on the land next to us. Dnr came out no orange for any of them. No hunting license no hunter safety most had no id’s he walked them back to the truck. He talked loud and I could hear them View attachment 1265161
We had a group like that next to us for a few years. They shot every living thing they saw and then roamed all though the woods looking for wounded deer every weekend. They ruined the hunting on our place for years. I think they finally got ran off because it’s been quiet this year.

We had a group like that next to us for a few years. They shot every living thing they saw and then roamed all though the woods looking for wounded deer every weekend. They ruined the hunting on our place for years. I think they finally got ran off because it’s been quiet this year.
We are afraid that’s what’s fixing to happen with us.. but we gonna pay attention to it

Core Lokt

Why didn't y'all call them in to DNR?

Kev

Why didn't y'all call them in to DNR?
I called DNR one night when they were shooting at deer in the field an hour after dark. I don’t think much ever happened with it. Game warden never called me back and I doubt he went out there. In my experience some of the newer game wardens are eager to get on leads like this, but I’ve never had luck when calling the game warden when there’s a problem.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
What a great pup! I bet your excited to put him on the next one!