First deer with Winchester Deer Season

Voodoo6366

First deer with Winchester XP 150GR 308. After looking two using Hornady, I purchased a box. Minor adjustment to optics and ready to go. After watching two trophy run dead out,, a spike appeared 145 yards out,,was just meandering so I took him. Shot hit exactly where intended and he left a 40 yard blood trail Ray Charles could follow. After getting to him and dragging back to house, ( I hunt in my back yard) I found his heart in 5 pieces and one lung ripped. Surprised he ran 40...Round performed flawlessly. Will be picking up a few more boxes. At 60,, and after a lifetime of hunting with over 100 deer taken, these rounds perform great and will not be changing again.

sleepr71

I’ve seen them. Sounds like good performance! Wonder how they perform up close,in higher velocity rounds(243/6.5CM/7mmRM)? Anybody have experience? I’m still shooting 150 gr Power Points from the 1990’s in my 7mm..:)

P6smSKC

I use them in my .30-06 and every deer I have shot with them has either dropped or left a river of blood to follow a very short distance. I have found since switching, if it hits ANY twig or bit of brush no matter how small on the way to the deer it will shrapnel into many tiny pieces and will not make it to the deer, this could be the case with any round and I have just gotten rusty at hunting/shooting…but it does seem like they are a little more finicky when it comes to trying to make a shot in the mess of thin twigs and things the deer are so often at.

wm742

That's what i use in my .308 and what my daughter uses in her 6.5.
I shoot through brush, wide open across fields, short shots, long shots, it doesn't matter, they do the job.
My youngest killed a 7 point at about 30yd with the 6.5. She said it ran about 25yd and crashed.

I use coe-lokt in everything else