Poachers Caught in Walton County 01/01/2019

COYOTE X

Two poachers were caught last night due to the unified efforts of the Walton County Sheriff's Office, and Georgia DNR (Ranger Daniel Schay) I commend the efforts of all involved and appreciate that "OUR SYSTEM" does work.

So, several weeks ago, a Corporal with Walton S.O. was canvasing the area looking for information (seeking the identity) of a poacher in the area utilizing an ATV to conduct his crimes. My family and I have seen ATV's (4-wheelers & UTV's) riding by at dark, but because of the distance, did not know their identity. And, we have not heard gunshots on our property.

Last night, as I was watching the Ohio State game, someone shot a deer from the road, in front of my house, and then sped away in a red S-10 pick-up truck that had a busted muffler. I grabbed my phone and flashlight and went out to find a little button-head thrashing around with a gunshot wound through the shoulder. As It died, I walked over into the wood line and waited for their return. Well, five minutes later, the same red S-10 pick-up truck with a busted muffler returned and pulled off the side of the road and stopped. The passenger (15 year old Juvenile) jumped out to retrieve the poached button-head, but was confronted by me. He dove back inside shouting to the driver "GO! GO! GO!" and the driver spun tires racing away, but not before I got their tag number.

I called it in to both Walton S.O. and DNR (1-800-241-4113), providing them with the tag number and direction of travel.

Well, in short, the Deputies did their jobs, as well as the Game Warden. The Ranger called my cell, got the facts and told me he was enroute. Deputies located the 18 year-old driver and his 15 year-old brother. They confessed to their crimes and led the Deputies back to the location that they had stopped and dumped the two deer rifles not far from their house.
The driver, Chandler Byron of Monroe was charged with three game violations. The juvenile was not charged due simply to our Juvenile Laws.

Thankfully, neither me or my family were wounded or killed by the reckless acts of these two criminals. We spend most of our time at home outside with the animals and that projectile went somewhere between the road and my garage.

Thank you Walton County Sheriff's Office and Ranger Schay for a job well done!

COYOTE X

j_seph

These poachers are starting young, I heard of some getting caught down the road from our club as well in Hall that were also young and dumb.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
So game violations is all he was charged with? I would think some sort of criminal charges would be in order due to shooting towards your house.

ucfireman

Take the guns and the truck used to commit the crime.

Agree take all equipment involved in the crime, gun, truck and everything.

So game violations is all he was charged with? I would think some sort of criminal charges would be in order due to shooting towards your house.

Seems like they could at least be charged with reckless conduct or some other criminal offense.

The sad thing is the 15yo thinks he got off scott free. He will do it again.
Good job Coyote to help them out. Hopefully its the same goobers doing the 4 wheeler riding and maybe it will stop.

SC Hunter

Take the guns and the truck used to commit the crime. Start a poachers register and ban for life from hunting. Think that would get some attention.

Yea let's ban a kid that made a stupid mistake from hunting for the rest of their life. I'm sure you have never made a mistake as a kid/young adult that looking back you say man that was stupid, I shouldn't have done that. Let them learn from this not hang them by their toes and beating them.

Huntin Nole

(y)(y)(y)

Blackston

Reckless discharge of a gun...... Bubba hollerd and raise his .... said I hit just where I was aiming. Shoulder shot seems like the kid could shoot. They kids man ......... Branding em for life kinda harsh. Were y'all ever 18 or 28 ?

howboutthemdawgs

Yea let's ban a kid that made a stupid mistake from hunting for the rest of their life. I'm sure you have never made a mistake as a kid/young adult that looking back you say man that was stupid, I shouldn't have done that. Let them learn from this not hang them by their toes and beating them.

I never made that mistake. And 18 is an adult. I promise he knew better. You know why we have so many repeat offenders...cause the punishment doesn’t deter.
I would want the same fate for the 15 year old. Poaching across the country has gotten out of control cause limp wristed judges don’t want to throw the book at anyone.

Geezer Ray

SC Hunter

Geezer Ray said:
Take the guns and the truck used to commit the crime. Start a poachers register and ban for life from hunting. Think that would get some attention.

Yes sir, I have made dumb mistakes as a kid. Had the railroad detectives at my house when I was 10 years old. Seems we got off the school bus, bought some candy and went to the railroad tracks. We put stuff on the tracks so the train could squash it. Some body else not me or my friends was bustin railroad lights. We got hung. So yes I have made mistakes and paid for it. Got a DUI in 1990, yes sir still on my record and I have quit drinking for better than 15 years now, but it is still there. Actions have consequences and that is LIFE. People no longer take responsabilty for their actions and wimpy little repercussions is the main reason. People need to stand up and take a whipping if it is needed and to teach their kids the same. I survived and so will they.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Glad they got caught!!

baddave

Two poachers were caught last night due to the unified efforts of the Walton County Sheriff's Office, and Georgia DNR (Ranger Daniel Schay) I commend the efforts of all involved and appreciate that "OUR SYSTEM" does work.

So, several weeks ago, a Corporal with Walton S.O. was canvasing the area looking for information (seeking the identity) of a poacher in the area utilizing an ATV to conduct his crimes. My family and I have seen ATV's (4-wheelers & UTV's) riding by at dark, but because of the distance, did not know their identity. And, we have not heard gunshots on our property.

Last night, as I was watching the Ohio State game, someone shot a deer from the road, in front of my house, and then sped away in a red S-10 pick-up truck that had a busted muffler. I grabbed my phone and flashlight and went out to find a little button-head thrashing around with a gunshot wound through the shoulder. As It died, I walked over into the wood line and waited for their return. Well, five minutes later, the same red S-10 pick-up truck with a busted muffler returned and pulled off the side of the road and stopped. The passenger (15 year old Juvenile) jumped out to retrieve the poached button-head, but was confronted by me. He dove back inside shouting to the driver "GO! GO! GO!" and the driver spun tires racing away, but not before I got their tag number.

I called it in to both Walton S.O. and DNR (1-800-241-4113), providing them with the tag number and direction of travel.

Well, in short, the Deputies did their jobs, as well as the Game Warden. The Ranger called my cell, got the facts and told me he was enroute. Deputies located the 18 year-old driver and his 15 year-old brother. They confessed to their crimes and led the Deputies back to the location that they had stopped and dumped the two deer rifles not far from their house.
The driver, Chandler Byron of Monroe was charged with three game violations. The juvenile was not charged due simply to our Juvenile Laws.

Thankfully, neither me or my family were wounded or killed by the reckless acts of these two criminals. We spend most of our time at home outside with the animals and that projectile went somewhere between the road and my garage.

Thank you Walton County Sheriff's Office and Ranger Schay for a job well done!

COYOTE X
good job .. sounds like you handled that perfectly . glad ya'll are ok

sleepr71

How disrespectful & DUMB to shoot a Rifle(of any caliber) from the highway! I thought the punishment used to be to lose the guns & vehicle used to commit the crime..along with a hefty $$$ fine? Did that go away? If so...I blame weak laws/law makers..?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
How disrespectful & DUMB to shoot a Rifle(of any caliber) from the highway! I thought the punishment used to be to lose the guns & vehicle used to commit the crime..along with a hefty $$$ fine? Did that go away? If so...I blame weak laws/law makers..?

If the guy was only charged with game violations as reported by the OP the punishment will be less severe than criminal charges would be.

ucfireman

If they have any friends, Im sure the friends will hear how you came out and confronted them....in other words, I would think for now the word is out not to shine at your place. That should last for awhile

In the meantime you may also consider planting some leland cypress, pines, or cedars along the roadway to block view into your field

Watch your mailbox and driveway, they may retaliate

CamoDawg85

To the OP, glad you were able to bring them to justice, and kudos to the LE Officials for taking care of business.

Question if you’re willing...what area if the county was this in Walton? I hunt near Good Hope so just curious.

Thanks