Poachers Caught in Walton County 01/01/2019

Jim Boyd

Glad they got caught and that you are safe.

Good work, sir.

ripplerider

Yea let's ban a kid that made a stupid mistake from hunting for the rest of their life. I'm sure you have never made a mistake as a kid/young adult that looking back you say man that was stupid, I shouldn't have done that. Let them learn from this not hang them by their toes and beating them.
I agree that they shouldnt be banned for life BUT I think they should face serious consequences that they will never forget. Discharging a high-powered rifle at night in front of someones house whether they knew it was there or not is at best reckless. that kind of crap is learned behavior too so let his friends and family learn from his mistakes. I've done some stupid stuff in my life, heck we all have, but mine didnt involve a rifle at night with innocent bystanders. My Dad instilled a healthy respect for gun safety and respect for fair chase ethics. By the way he grew up in Walton county as did my Mom. My best buck came from the land where he grew up.

QuackAddict

Hopefully these were the same jokers that shot a 9 point that we found in our pond back in August. Hopefully they learn a good lesson from this.

Curtis

Like many on here I have two perspectives. Yes, the penalties for poaching, night hunting, tresspassing etc. are too light. But they have been light forever, in my opinion. Seems they are getting a bit more inline but still not enough to satisfy us who hunt and fish legally and ethically. And if it this had occured at my property, I too would be mighty ****ed off. That being said, an 18yr old and 15yr old should be punished but it shouldn't ruin their futures. Btw, as this was in Walton County and the OP published his name, I think there is a good chance this is the Monroe high quarterback. This is the sort of thing that goes on your record and can damage a prospect's chance at a scholarship. Hopefully between the law, his family, and coaches, he and his brother will learn a valuable lesson.

Last edited:

SC Hunter

I agree that they shouldnt be banned for life BUT I think they should face serious consequences that they will never forget. Discharging a high-powered rifle at night in front of someones house whether they knew it was there or not is at best reckless. that kind of crap is learned behavior too so let his friends and family learn from his mistakes. I've done some stupid stuff in my life, heck we all have, but mine didnt involve a rifle at night with innocent bystanders. My Dad instilled a healthy respect for gun safety and respect for fair chase ethics. By the way he grew up in Walton county as did my Mom. My best buck came from the land where he grew up.

This is the kind of logic I can get with! Definitely fine them enough that they remember it, make them pick up trash every weekend for 6 months, not jail time or life long consequences. If somebody had been shot then yes jail time would be in the plans.

COYOTE X

Just to be clear, the reason I posted this was;

* To commend the unified efforts of State Law Enforcement (DNR) and Sheriff's Office working together to serve and protect.
* To notify citizens/hunters in northeast Walton County of the incident. (As stated, Walton S.O. had previously been canvasing the area seeking to identify of the poachers operating on ATV or UTV in the immediate area)
* To empower victims or witnesses of game violations to report incidents to Law Enforcement and provide them with as much specific information possible so they can effectively do their jobs.

It has been my experience, both privately and professionally, all across this state that many, many game violations go completely unreported. Many just "don't want to get involved".

My hope was that the men and women that read this post, or discuss this topic with their peers, will again have faith that "IF" a game violation is reported Law Enforcement, it actually can result in some sort of justice.

DNR 24 Hour Hotline - 1-800-241-4113 (Store it in your phone!)

COYOTE X

SnapperG

Is that the Chandler Byron that was the Quarterback for Monroe this year? AAA Player of the year?

Beagles N Boykins

I would assume this is the same Chandler Byron that was Monroe Area’s QB this year. If so it is not his or his brother’s brush with the law as they have been caught multiple times trespassing on others land on their atvs in the Campton area.

Deerhead

Glad they were caught. Hope they learn from their error in judgment and never think of doing anything like this again! Everyone deserves a second chance.

COYOTE X

Beagles N Boykins, .........you are correct sir.
COYOTE X

rigderunner

I never made that mistake. And 18 is an adult. I promise he knew better. You know why we have so many repeat offenders...cause the punishment doesn’t deter.
I would want the same fate for the 15 year old. Poaching across the country has gotten out of control cause limp wristed judges don’t want to throw the book at anyone.
What good would that do they done know how to poach taking there right to hunt would more than likely make them want to poach more

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Read the post above yours. How many chances should someone get? And then how many does a star quarterback get?
A kid.... Any kid. 1 strike with something like a heavy fine and a bunch of community service. Nothing that would ruin his life. I grew up in the country and there was a lot of high school kids who rode around in groups and did stuff like this. I may or may not have been in some of those vehicles. I can guarantee you our parents taught us better, but no one at that age understands fully the consequences. I had a few friends who ended up getting caught shooting the DNR big buck one night. They had big fines and a lot of community service. That was over 20 years ago. To this day the ones that still hunt are as ethical and law abiding as they come. 1 is a lawyer, 1 is a school teacher and HS coach. They were afforded those opportunities because they paid their debt and were allowed to learn from their mistake and continue with life.

Horns

I live in Walton as well and haven’t heard about this incident. Hopefully this will straighten them out

DeoVindice

All I can say is this is one reason why it is quite difficult for some folks to obtain permission to hunt. Yeah, they are kids being dumb, but incidents such as these hurt all of us.

I have never poached a deer, and never attempted to do so. I have, however, done plenty of other stupid things in my youth. :)