Polishing various types of metal

raymrt

I would like to learn how to polish different types of metal useing a buffing wheel attached to a bench grinder, electric drill, or a hand held numatic grinder...whatever works best. So far I have learned the layered buffing pad (wheel ) will disintegrate when one attempts to buff an article such as a brass belt buckle or pewter ashtray when one does not know what one is doing. I have the different sticks of puffing compound but do not know how to apply it for best result. How critical is the speed used? What size wheel works best at what speed? I need the very basics. Any help would be appreciated.

Meriwether Mike

A few tips,

Most good polishers will run around 1200 to 1500 rpm. Note that a 7 "grinder will be turning too fast and will burn up if used for polishing. The cotton buffing wheels are about 10 " in diameter to start. They get smaller as they wear when used. You get the polisher running and hold the bar of compound against the buffing wheel to load the compound onto it. You then hold the metal against the buffing wheel to polish it. If you apply too much pressure the metal can be snatched from your hand. Just apply enough pressure to let the compound work. You will have to re-load the buffing wheel every so often. If the buffing wheel gets gummed up use a wire brush held against it to clean it up. Wear eye protection when running a buffing wheel. I would recommend the red compound(jewelers rouge) for the brass and a white or green for the other. Good luck!

raymrt

Thanks guys...I'll buy a 10 inch buffing wheel and give it a try. Getting the right RPM will be the tricky part. I'll do a bit of experimenting....Ray