Pricing for engine work...high, low, or legit?

zaraspook04

I have (purchased new) a 2006 F-150 FX4 with the 5.4L with 148,000 miles. I have never had any problems with it, although I had the coil pack problem around 110,00 miles. I have serviced the engine religiously.

I like to be pro-active instead of re-active. I contacted a reputable business to have the following completed:
-Valve cover gaskets with grommets
-vvt solenoids
-vvt sprockets
-oil and oil filter (ford motorcraft)
-valve lifter not a necessity but recommended
-melling high volume oil pump
-melling timing set complete kit
-coil packs and spark plugs (ford motorcraft)
-injectors
-tuned and with tuner

The quoted price for the above mentioned work, tuner, and engine tuned is $3300. Is this price high or legit? I plan to keep my truck for another 150,000 miles and want to ensure I get there without engine problems.

I certainly appreciate the information anyone provides!

DAVE

I believe that is a low price, a waste of money and a good way to create a problem where none exist.

transfixer

The price sounds reasonable, but replacing the solenoids , sprockets, and oil pump will not guarantee you can get another 150k out of it, the whole cam phaser/variable valve timing on those was a bad design, the new parts could very well give you trouble again, way before you got the mileage you want.

There are kits out there that change the setup to a fixed position, cam phaser lockout kits, that I've read good things about, although I have no personal experience with them. I personally don't care for that engine, its not one of Ford's better ones. Before spending that much I'd be inclined to sell the truck and buy one with a different engine? the 4.6 engine was a much more durable engine in my opinion and many others,

I've always been a Ford guy, but a few years ago I went with a Chevy and a 5.3, I now drive a 2500 with a 6.0 , the LS engines are as close to bulletproof as they come in todays world.