Pro hunting bill passes Ga legislature

lampern

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190403/georgia-legislature-adjourned-sine-die

, sponsored by Sen. Tyler Harper (R-7), repeals the prohibition on hunting in wildlife management areas (WMA) and increases the number of deer tags available to each hunter. Unfortunately, allowing the use of suppressors for hunting on public lands was stricken from the language and failed to be resurrected in conference. It remains lawful to hunt with suppressors on private lands and your NRA will continue to fight to expand hunting with suppressors to all lands in the future.

12 tags per hunter

lampern

Air bows are now legal for bear, turkey and deer

Deer limit is 12 per hunter either-sex

You can bait hogs near property lines

No WMA license needed

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You can bait hogs near property lines

Well actually it says that bait for hogs can not be placed so as to cause the hunting of any species of wildlife on any adjoining property to be prohibited....

mattuga

Banned
Thinking of getting me one!!!!!!!!

@C.Killmaster is this true that we will be able to kill 12 does or 12 bucks or what with the 12 either sex tags

I am eagerly awaiting his input even though it seems pretty clear to me. I'm still not sure this big of a change just happened but wow if it did. I figured there would certainly be more chatter going on about this and we would've known if the deer limit was removing any distinction between doe/buck within the 12 deer limit.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Thinking of getting me one!!!!!!!!

@C.Killmaster is this true that we will be able to kill 12 does or 12 bucks or what with the 12 either sex tags
I’m thinking it means 12 antlerlrss instead of the former 10 & 2 rule.

shdw633

I’m thinking it means 12 antlerlrss instead of the former 10 & 2 rule.

Seems odd though that all this talk about cutting back on doe harvest and yet you would increase the limit on them to 12??? I am thinking that the law will give the DNR the authority to tweak the limits in order to help better manage the herd. In areas where no does are allowed or are very limited they can increase the buck harvest to three, four or maybe more instead of two, while clamping down on the doe days in order to cut down on doe harvest in those areas. We'll know in July.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Seems odd though that all this talk about cutting back on doe harvest and yet you would increase the limit on them to 12??? I am thinking that the law will give the DNR the authority to tweak the limits in order to help better manage the herd. In areas where no does are allowed or are very limited they can increase the buck harvest to three, four or maybe more instead of two, while clamping down on the doe days in order to cut down on doe harvest in those areas. We'll know in July.

This^^^
I asked him specifically about the original bill and he said no plans to change the 10/2 this year or until the “need” in some areas. So no 12 bucks or 12 does any place soon if ever.
It does seem to place any and all the authority in the hands of DNR to change anything hunting and fishing related as they see fit rather than voted by the politicians we vote in.
You have to pass it to know what’s in it.

Also no plan to change the 4 point rule “yet” either.

lampern

The way I read it its 12 deer either-sex UNLESS the DNR changes it.

And I don't see a proposed regulation change changing it (say back to 10 and 2)

lampern

No proposed change to alter bag limits so I stand by my conclusion that it will be 12 deer of either-sex next year.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
The way I read it its 12 deer either-sex UNLESS the DNR changes it.

And I don't see a proposed regulation change changing it (say back to 10 and 2)

This time last year you didn’t see a regulation change legalizing deer baiting either did you?

lampern

This law now gives the DNR the authority to set bag limits with a maximum of 12 deer per hunter per year.

The "default" is 12 deer of either-sex unless the DNR passes a rule changing that