Pro hunting bill passes Ga legislature

bilgerat

Senior
nothing has changed, this bill just defines the season dates and limits , its still 12 total... 10 and 2, with the 4 point rule still in place

lampern

The passed language got rid of the 10 and 2.

Its gone.

Maximum bag limit is 12 but the DNR now has the authority to set daily and season bag limit up to 12 and exempt deer taken on WMAs from the bag limit.

Also nothing prohibiting them from enacting antler restrictions again.

Last edited:

Wide Earp

The way I read it its 12 deer either-sex UNLESS the DNR changes it.

And I don't see a proposed regulation change changing it (say back to 10 and 2)
no way they will let you kill 12 bucks, not gonna happen

Huntmaster2

no way they will let you kill 12 bucks, not gonna happen
I agree with that. On another forum a guy was amazed that we had 12 deer tags in GA. I don't know of any states that will let you kill 12 whitetail bucks. Mississippi allows 3 bucks and 3 does in most places, which is half of our 12 limit. I think they have the largest deer population in the country too.

bilgerat

Senior
believe what you want but the bill passed just sets seasons and harvest guidelines that the dnr must follow, these are not the regulations for hunting. other than changing the doe days in some countys The actual limits and seasons will be the same.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I agree with that. On another forum a guy was amazed that we had 12 deer tags in GA. I don't know of any states that will let you kill 12 whitetail bucks. Mississippi allows 3 bucks and 3 does in most places, which is half of our 12 limit. I think they have the largest deer population in the country too.
I thought Texas did?

shdw633

View attachment 964770
For Texas its 5 WT deer, no more than 3 bucks.

MLDP is Managed Lands Deer Program for private lands that choose to enroll in the program and receive recommendations for wildlife management.

I think that is why the law was changed in Georgia to read how it reads so that the Georgia DNR can do something similar with their DMAP program as the MLDP program is out there. I could be way off in my thinking here but I think the law reads the way it does so that if you enroll in that program and the DNR says you can shoot 12 does than you can do that without fear of getting ticketed for breaking state law.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I guess the question is does the DNR need to pass a rule change to keep the current limits or not?
Yes, a new regulation will be created setting the bag limit at 10 and 2, like it has been, and maintaining the antler restriction on one buck.

Take a look at 391-4-2-.24 in the proposed regulations, it's listed there.

Last edited:

gadeerwoman

Did the stipulation of loss of license for hunting without landowner permission pass? Lord, I'd like to see that one for sure!! Wish they could go back to confiscation of firearms and vehicles for violations. Laws need some teeth in them. Unfortunately the local judges do a 'wink and slink' for local violators. Seems the only folks the judges care about even fining any more are out of county/out of state residents. Makes it hard on the wardens and definitely a kick in their gut to see folks they've ticketed get a free walk from the judge. No wonder LE morale is low.